Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlieBrown-DE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Germany
Hello,

when I use iBooks 4 on my iPhone 6 while I am out of home (cellular data), it eats up permanently cellular data in the System Services section under "iTunes Accounts".
And I mean, a lot of data, 10 MB in 2 or 3 minutes, until I kill iBooks.

Cellular data for iBooks is off and it is only shown in the System Services, but I can perfectly repeat the process: start iBooks and reading -> after 1 minute there are 5 MB more gone from my data plan...

Yesterday I resetted the phone and set up as new device: No solution...!

Any help someone?

CharlieBrown-DE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Germany
Did it but it didn't help either...
Also with 8.1 no enhancement, and this really makes me frightening.
Looks like Amazon gets a new Kindle app user.

CharlieBrown-DE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Germany
I am going crazy!!! 5 minutes of reading costs me 20 MB on LTE...!!
I restored out of DFU mode but it didn't help. I can clearly track it to iBooks. Also in 8.1 beta the problem persists.
When I lock out of my iTunes account it stops, but this doesn't help me...

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
iBooks has been buggy for me since iOS 7. Not so much in reading the books, but they eat up all of my iCloud storage for backups because purchased books are now backed up as well (they used to be treated like apps, the whole book wasn't backed up, but downloaded when you restored from a backup). However, iBooks now shows that none of my purchased books are on my device (they are), and backs them up as if they were PDF's or a non-purchased book.

For awhile, iTunes Accounts was eating up all of my data, not sure why either.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
iTunes Accounts in System Services sometimes eat up to 200 MB a day for me, I've never opened iBooks on the IP6.

I've also tried turning off "Use Cellular Data" in iTunes & App Store areas and doesn't do much diff.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
It's happening to me too! iTunes Accounts are eating my mobile data but I don't even have mobile data on for anything iTunes-related! WTF!

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Also interesting...

Game Center is using MB after MB of my cellular data, but I have never even used it once.

I have never logged into Game Center, I have never in my life done anything with it, but it constantly uses my data.

Really Apple?

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Also interesting...

Game Center is using MB after MB of my cellular data, but I have never even used it once.

I have never logged into Game Center, I have never in my life done anything with it, but it constantly uses my data.

Really Apple?

Does "Settings > Game Center" show that you are not logged in?

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Hello,

when I use iBooks 4 on my iPhone 6 while I am out of home (cellular data), it eats up permanently cellular data in the System Services section under "iTunes Accounts".
And I mean, a lot of data, 10 MB in 2 or 3 minutes, until I kill iBooks.

Cellular data for iBooks is off and it is only shown in the System Services, but I can perfectly repeat the process: start iBooks and reading -> after 1 minute there are 5 MB more gone from my data plan...

Yesterday I resetted the phone and set up as new device: No solution...!

Any help someone?

I don't have/notice this issue with my iPhone 5 with iOS 8.1 beta 1 installed.

Are there any “Automatic Downloads” set under Settings > iTunes and App Store?
Are you using iTunes Match?
When Wifi is off and you start a fresh run of iBooks, does a no Cellular data in Settings message appear?
Have you tried clicking the header “All Books” in iBooks and choosing “Hide iCloud Books”?
Does disabling Cellular Data stop this temporarily?”
Does Airplane mode stop this temporarily?
Does signing out of “iCloud” stop this temporarily?

Mikhanator

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
Still a persisting issue...

I too have the same problem but for some reason System Services > iTunes Accounts uses 150-350mb randomly for some reason. I only have 1gb (1012mb) and iTunes Accounts already has used 690mb within the past few days. Every other app within Cellular only use an average of 22mb or less since 17/03 (18 apps).

Specs:
iPhone 5 16gb (3gb used by defualt stock apps) [MD298X/A]
23 Applications
iOS 7.1.1

I don't have iBooks.
No automatic downloads are on.
Most of my apps display a "No Cellular" pop-up (Currently 12apps with cellular on)
Obviously turning Cellular off stops all usage among System Services and my own apps.
" with airplane mode.
Signing out sadly doesn't solve the issue.

I have yet to try "Reset & erase content from device settings"

Anyone have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.