iCal 1.5.4

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
iCal 1.5.4 for Mac OS X 10.2.3 or later is now available through Software Update or download.
iCal 1.5.4 includes security enhancements to help protect your computer when importing events with alarms that open files or applications.
iCal version 1.5.3 was apparently never released as a Software Update, the previous update having been the January 2004 release of iCal 1.5.2.

[Update] - A Knowledge Base article describes the handling of "unsafe" alarms in iCal 1.5.4.
(Thanks go to member JJTiger1 for the tip.)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
iCal - the forgotten iLife app! Installed, everything is still same as before, which is a good thing! Comforting to know that development is still going on.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's interesting to note that there is a What's New article in the iCal 1.5.3 Help section of the Apple Knowledge Base, but that it mentions only iCal 1.5.1 and iCal 1.5.2 features.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
munkle said:
iCal - the forgotten iLife app! Installed, everything is still same as before, which is a good thing! Comforting to know that development is still going on.
iCal is not forgotten, it is being updated for Tiger while the Panther version won't change anymore, 1.5.4 is just a security update which doesn't include any new features.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
ok, I guess the humor was missed there.

The improvements listed above are handy and will make using iCal a much better experience. It's improvements like this that I look forward to because I use iCal everyday.

But occaisionally I will make reference to the fact that everytime an improvement is offered, a lot of people expect Murphys Law to apply.

So far so good, the update works exactly the way it is supposed to, the same as every other update I have installed so far.

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Installed without incidents :D

Ever since my install experience with 10.3.6, I'm a bit more cautions

Bad Beaver

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
Installed fine, no problems upon restaring iCal. What a shame one has to mention that at all. Software update dug up 10.3.6 in the end, although I had set it to "ignore". I'll keep ignoring it :cool:

snack

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2004
BORING!!

iCal 1.5.4 includes security enhancements to help protect your computer when importing events with alarms that open files or applications.
Another boring update. It's time for new features!

Lets hope we see a better iCal, etc, in Tiger ;)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
aawww... you mean we went all this time and missed out on an update? :(

well i guess it mustn't have been that important then...

definitely good to see Apple taking preemptive action on the security front, rather than the other method of having a security hole hit the press and then patch it up... ;)

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
snack said:
Another boring update. It's time for new features!

Lets hope we see a better iCal, etc, in Tiger ;)
v1.6 in Tiger is a sad, sad joke.

Yes, I understand Tiger is still in development, but history is on my side here.

I simply cannot understand why Apple has done such a poor job with iCal in 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and it looks like 10.4.

Why doesn't Apple understand the basic fact that a calendaring program is as important as email in business settings? Honestly, I am not even hoping at this point for it to be best-of-breed. Just give us basic functionality for the love of God.

I am sorry to be so negative. But after seeing v1.6 in Tiger, I am beyond frustrated at how obtuse Apple is being with iCal and serving the SMB market.

(And yes, I know there are alternatives, but iCal is tied to .Mac so tightly we need it.)

techgeek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2004
UK
BWhaler said:
I simply cannot understand why Apple has done such a poor job with iCal in 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and it looks like 10.4.

Why doesn't Apple understand the basic fact that a calendaring program is as important as email in business settings? Honestly, I am not even hoping at this point for it to be best-of-breed. Just give us basic functionality for the love of God.
What do you feel is wrong with it and/or missing from it?
Personally I find it more than adequate for my calendering needs and yes I do run a small business.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
BWhaler said:

Yes, I understand Tiger is still in development, but history is on my side here.

I am sorry to be so negative. But after seeing v1.6 in Tiger, I am beyond frustrated at how obtuse Apple is being with iCal and serving the SMB market.

(And yes, I know there are alternatives, but iCal is tied to .Mac so tightly we need it.)
Care to share what features are lacking and what you'd like to see done? It's easy to complain about something, but much more relevant to offer a reasonable solution. Also, as far as I know there's nothing that you can do with iCal and .Mac that you can't do with iCal and other options. Meaning that your .Mac account should have nothing to do with your decision. Now if there are things iCal does that you rely on that other calendar programs don't do, then perhaps all calendar programs lack what you need, and not just iCal.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
BWhaler said:
I'm sure you're right, and things are missing for business users. But I think it's a consumer app, not a business one. (And as a business user myself, it DOES do what I need.) You're hoping for Apple to bundle a more business-oriented calendar app with the OS. It might happen--never hurts to send them feedback--but I think Apple's aiming for simplicity with iCal.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Yes I'd like to hear some of these ideas too.

The only major things I wanted from iCal have already appeared in Tiger (a big one being groups), but if someone can mention a new must-have feature I'd like to be able to moan about not having that yet.

It would be nice if they could get the speed up too, it seems to be the slowest of the suite (iApp) now.

AppleMatt

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
BWhaler said:

I love iCal. It's so simple to use, and the alarms and other features work great. Plus, it integrates with .Mac. However, the suspense is KILLING me; please tell us what's missing from iCal! :)

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
very nice. i should get back in the habit of using it. i got out of using ical for a while. i think this will change me to go back to using it. :eek:

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
already installed, the interface and features are the same, it looks snappier :D (I couldn't resist)... :rolleyes: , yes, I know, but someone had to say it.

Nothing to see there.

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
The biggest missing feature is not being able to mark a horizontal appointment, i.e. drag an appointment between 10 and 11am Mon-Thur for instance.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
JW Pepper said:
The biggest missing feature is not being able to mark a horizontal appointment, i.e. drag an appointment between 10 and 11am Mon-Thur for instance.
Just paste it (command-v) for the days you want or make it a repeating event.

misr12

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
In my business it's going to impact major dollars

The web publishing function/feature sets iCal apart from Microsoft's Entourage for me. Can't give details but I have not seen this flexibility in any other PIM. As a matter of fact I would pay over $300 dollars for this feature alone because it has this type of impact in my business. For disclosure reasons I will not give details only to say that this is a very good pim/calendar. I have used them all. For me personally it the most dollar impact software I have ever used for my business. The business field use is the medical field. That is all I'll say. Except for thank you Apple for developing this software.

nagromme said:
I'm sure you're right, and things are missing for business users. But I think it's a consumer app, not a business one. (And as a business user myself, it DOES do what I need.) You're hoping for Apple to bundle a more business-oriented calendar app with the OS. It might happen--never hurts to send them feedback--but I think Apple's aiming for simplicity with iCal.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Although I would have preferred a more exciting update, I guess this one will do. For all the times I use iCal, this probably isn't necessary, but if it's more for security reasons than anything, then it's a good thing. I'm waiting for some major software updates (iLife '05!) at MWSF though. :cool:

fflipper

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2004
The only Gripe

Well the only gripe i have with iCal that i hope gets fixed is when eccepting in anvitation it always sets the tie format to other, I travel so use the timezone functionaility often. The thing is that when it sets the timezone to other most of the time i can asssume that other is eastern (where my companies exchange server is located) but that is not always the case. I have to email the meeting creator to confirm the time and date just to be safe. I would like to see better invitation support with exchange server. Also sending an invite to outlook/exchange users is useless. This is probably not apple's fault but is microsoft going to change? i doubbt it so it is up to apple to come up with a better way. Snerdware has a good plugin for exchange but it still doesn't do invites right (at least last time i checked).

The last thing that i wish apple would implement is travel times. Allowing you to add time before and after a meeting based on the amount of time it takes to travel is nice. This is time that you are busy but can do phone calls.

None of this has stopped me from using iCal for work. It does more good than bad over other apps (specifically entourage) which are the only two that i have ever used on my mac. I like syncing with isync and just the tight integration into .mac for personal. and i like the multiple calendars and subscription is nice. Just wish for a little bit more.

Andrew