Ice Raid nets 680 at chicken processing plant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ice-raids-on-mississippi-food-processing-plants-result-in-680-arrests

But I don't want to focus on those who were gathered up in the raid, but instead want to know how a company that size can hire that many who are not authorized to work in this country. Either they are completely incompetent or the illegals had some damn good forgeries.

The executives at this company need to go to jail. Dry up the jobs and people will stop coming. Simple as that and probably better than a wall.

2. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I don't have much sympathy for the owners but the raw truth is that Americans are not willing to work at chicken plants at the prices they pay. If they paid living wages the price of McNuggets goes way up. The meat industry is a horror show.

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Because illegal immigration drives down wages. They are also found in a wide range of jobs Americans also work. They also caught some at a tech plant.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Well, it's not like it was a big investigative stretch for ICE. They've visited Koch facilities before.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/c...tions-paid-koch-foods/wHJUiUyj3mQS2lZV5cPFPL/

5. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I understand that and, in my mind, that's on the employer. But the laws on that have never been enforced because they pay the pols. So instead they drag off some person trying to feed their family.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

If they arrested them they would send them to the same place they sent the Wall St and bank executives that manufactured the last great recession. Back to their desks.

7. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

That won't happen as long as there is prosecutorial "discretion". That will always ensure that prosecutors pick on poor people who can't afford high end defense attorneys. Sometimes I wish that the justice system was just a large computer with all the laws encoded with no discretion allowed and an army of heavily armed robot cops set out to enforce its judgements ruthlessly - even on people with last name of a Weinstein or a Mozilo.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Execs need to be held accountable, as well as deporting the illegals.

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This is what irritates me about "There will always be rich people. Get over it." capitalism defenders. It goes well beyond having a house or yacht for you to be jealous of. They think they are above the law and too many times they are proven to be correct on that assumption.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think the companies are well aware they’re hiring illegal immigrants. I remember watching a documentary about illegal immigrants working in meat processing plants. It’s absolutely disgusting work that I don’t think anyone would do unless they had to. If I remember correctly, as they’re dealing with meat the laws are different as compared to hiring migrant farm workers. Without hiring illegal immigrants many of the communities where these farms are located don’t have a population that would otherwise do the work.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Conservative greed and hypocrisy. Have a raid on farms and orchards in conservative areas and watch the elected officials squirm.

Trump had undocumented people working for his companies even after elected.

13. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Deport Executives!

This crime has been going on for DECADES.
    Always the immigrants and not the owners that are in slammer (rarely loose the company).

Meanwhile the price of food goes up....
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2019 ---
    Tip of the iceberg.
    Chaos45 never though of what happens to US Citizen children who's parents are deported and they are left to fend for themselves.
    Isn't the US Gov forced to take responsible for these now parent-less children?

14. BigMcGuire, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This upsets me.

I used to live in the midwest in the early 2000s. ICE raided a meat processing plant back then and found that a big majority of the workers were illegals. Locals to the town (that I talked to) were furious. Instead of rounding up illegals who aren't working, getting in trouble with the law, they hit illegals working jobs.

Similar situation, the families were devastated. Really sad situation. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postville_raid -- Link to raid. Wow it's on Wikipedia, lol.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

100% this. And with harsh sentencing.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2019 ---
    My understanding is that meat processing used to be a unionized, safe, and somewhat financially fine job. Then execs found out that illegals were available to do it for a cent on the dollar...

16. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

These raids are also massive economic hits of these communities, the meat packers are major income produces.

It may be support for Chaos45 will be greatly reduced in that area.

17. raqball macrumors 68000

Do not deport these people! Send them to sanctuary cities!

If deported they'l just be back in a day and a half or so... Liberals love them some criminal illegal aliens so instead of deporting them hand em a one way bus ticket to a sanctuary city of their choice..... Along with this bus ticket a notification that if they leave the sanctuary city they be tossed in the slammer.....

Win, win......

18. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Fine. NYC will happily accept 680 hard workers.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Dozens of people without authorization worked at Trump's businesses, including Trump National Golf Club Philadelphia, Trump's club in Bedminster, N.J., and his National Golf Club Westchester, in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.

As the New York Times noted, "The company has said it was duped by employees who used false identification to get their jobs. But some of the workers in Bedminster told The Times they were kept on the payroll despite the fact that management was aware of the false documents.

And, as the Times wrote in May, "in the 12 months that ended in March, more than 112,000 people were prosecuted for illegal entry or re-entry, while just 11 employers faced criminal charges for hiring undocumented workers."

In July, James Brantley—who hired more than 100 workers illegally, and avoided $2.5 million in payroll taxes pocketing the difference—was sentenced to 18 months, and three years probation.

Brantley's scheme went on for 20 years before he was caught by ICE and the IRS.

So, what about members of the Trump organization?

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I'd be fine with jailing Trump co. executives, but I don't think that using witnesses that admittedly falsified documentation would be the best bet for any sound of mind prosecutor.

Only 18 months and some probation for hiring 100 illegal workers for 20 years is outrageously light.

21. raqball macrumors 68000

Cool.. You all can have a parade to welcome them as well.. I am sure CNN and MSNBC will live stream it...

22. cube, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

cube macrumors P6

I had to look at the thread to see if it was 680 chickens.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, the larger point is that most of the weight of ICE's investigations fall on the heads of the workers, and not the employers, who are not only violating labor law, immigration law, but usually are committing tax fraud, along with other serious violations.

And, that's before we talk about how a lot of these employers are abusive, and regularly use immigration status as a weapon against workers, firing them without cause, refusing overtime, and underpaying them.

ICE doesn't pursue owners often, and even in serious cases, the owners get off relatively lightly.

And, the Trump organization apparently wasn't using E-Verify until December, and a serious investigation into the organization would probably find lots of problems—I mean come'on, what's the likelihood that everything was done right?

But, because it's the president's, the organization will remain untouchable.

24. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Hello! Americans?! Wtf are you people doing? Why are you blaming trump? Why are you not blaming yourself? This is on your heads. This is not trumps immigration policy. It’s been American policy for decades. By supporting this mass illegal immigration you are promoting human trafficking by the cartels and unscrupulous American businesses owners giving jobs to illegals for pennies on the dollar without benefits. Making these people open to abuse because they won’t to to authorities.

Then you are ignoring the strain it puts on the environment and the finite resources. As millions leave South America for the USA.

Then you are ignoring the jobs they are taking from actual citizens and resources that can be used by actual citizens living on the streets.

Then you also ignore the same thing happening in the black communities for decades since the Clinton administration and The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 which has torn apart black families and has left black kids to grow up with one or no parents.

As a father what is happening to these children is absolutely heart breaking. But these parents are irresponsible and they are the ones that have done this to them. They have only replaced one kind of misery for another.

Instead of blaming trump ask your representatives why they have t done anything?

Instead of blaming trump ask the democrats why they turned a blind eye when Obama was in office for 8 years.
    8 years that Obama presided over mass deportations and building cages to house kids.

You are only seeing this now because the mainstream media want you to see this now and get outraged. Not because they care but because they have an agenda.

The democrats are outraged not because they care. They want to win 2020 on your outrage. If you think things will be different if a Democrat wins you will be sorely disappointed.

/end rant

25. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I imagine in probably depends on the state, but I’m sure the bottom line has driven the demand for cheaper we labor. The the flip side consumers also demand low cost food.