Iceland Picks First Openly Gay PM

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalBoy, Feb 1, 2009.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

2. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

3. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think we'll see a leader of the House or Senate within the next 30 years, but much longer for President.

My money is on the following order: openly gay Speaker of the House, then Supreme Court Justice, and then perhaps one day President.

4. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

What I'd really like to see is when not only are people more accepting of diversity, they don't even care about the politicians personal life. The only thing that matters her the qualifications. Certain aspects of people's lives should never be public, nor should the public demand for them to be.

5. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't think that's ever going to happen in American politics.

We have an obsession with "the person" rather than the officer they seek to be.

Our politics is much more localized and personalized in that way, and it's been so for a long time.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

While I feel the same way, in reality, this is a hurdle that an American who thinks about running for President would have to face head on. They are elected based on their job qualifications and strategy on how to run the country, but also how well his/her beliefs match the general population. Obama may be the first black president, but if he wasn't Christian, he would have stood no chance. :eek:

Saying that, I doubt it'll ever happen in the US. Religion plays too large a role in determining what many Americans feel is right and wrong for this to happen, even in 20 or 30 years.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Slightly off topic but I think the left/greens will come to regret getting into bed with the social democrats.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Literally get in bed with? I mean, I used to think it was a figure of speech, like saying "the government is in bed with the oil companies".

Then you find out it's not just a figure of speech, it's literally true...

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I was making a funny not a very good one admittedly.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Good step

Hopefully she helps lead Iceland to better days!

(even though she's only PM for a few months, if I read correctly)

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is definitely good. Let's hope that she's good at her job.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

I like how I can go about reading non-US news outlets and they don't bother to mention the person's sexual preference. Honestly, why is this newsworthy? Just by publishing this, it shows that some people actually care about what foreign heads of state are doing off duty...

13. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

My money's on an atheist lesbian in the White House within my lifetime, I am hoping.

*agnostic straight guy*

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't know if she'll be good at her job but her politics are none to clever (in my opinion of course others may see it differently). There is a general election coming up in May when it's expected the left/greens will become the largest party and may form a government with the progressive party (rural/liberal).

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think there may be a better chance of having a gay female atheist president than a gay male atheist. I don't know whether it's true or not, but from what I see, being a gay male is more difficult than being a lesbian.

16. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

The correct term is Sexual Orientation - preference is what you like, not how you are wired/oriented.

This is the first national leader that is openly gay in history - of any country - thats a pretty big deal. Im not to sure what you mean by people caring what they are doing off duty - would you say the same of people pointing out Obama is married to Michelle?

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Iceland is the most beautiful place in the world. For lots of reasons.

18. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Umm ancient Rome and Greece beat them to it, but I'm being picky.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir.

What a name! I haven't a clue how to pronounce it. :eek:

20. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

It's newsworthy because it's historic.

I'd love to live in a society where we don't have to feel proud that a black man is finally in the white house. The colour of his skin should no longer matter. But as long as there are bigots in the world and as long as there is a recent history of discrimination, it matters.

21. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

If we assume that 5% of the American population is gay (some groups cite 10%, others cite less), that means that 1 in every 20 presidents (we assume no correlation between sexual orientation and political involvement (which may or may not be the case)) should be gay proportionately. Considering the much more tolerant views towards gays in the past 10 years or so (most polls indicate greater support of gay marriage, etc...and also add anecdotal evidence), I don't think we can yet say that there's been a terribly exclusionary process being undertaken in the recent political environment.

Barack Obama being elected has been a major step, but I agree with an above poster in that the religious in America would probably bar this from happening in the forseeable future.

I am so tired and incoherent I don't know what I'm saying. Excuse me.

EDIT: Much Ado: I think a lot of the issue is that people are using the election of a black man as President as evidence that discrimination and bigotry (at least in racial terms) IS following by the wayside. I think that holds truth to it as well...

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think we'll see a gay president long before we see an atheist president. Once religions start to accept that being gay isn't wrong, it won't take long for sexual orientation to become a complete non issue. I doubt religion will ever be as accepting about atheism.

I remember being completely wowed when I was there at 18 with my cousin and his family. Whether we were out touring the scenery or just sitting at the mall watching a different kind of scenery. I'd hate to see that country fade away, even if I never get back there.

23. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I think the American people are excluding a whole group of people who make their decisions based on logic and reason...

24. suburbia macrumors 6502

I don't think we'll see a gay president in our lifetime (20 - 40 yr olds). There are non-religious people that would not support and accept a gay leader. I think these are the same people that only tolerate gays if they're crossdressing, effeminate, campy and relegated to Broadway and theatre. Anything else would be a threat to their ideal of masculinity and strength.

If religion has a say in this-- and it always does, even if, all sects of Christianity became accepting of homosexuality, there are still other religions' attitude toward homosexuality. How would a conservative Muslim leader deal with a gay President/Prime Minister?

It's a nice dream though...

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't really care what any religion thinks of us. Just because some Muslim or Christian doesn't like us, doesn't mean we should have any concern with how they'd deal with us if elected. We've been dealing with "Christian" Presidents for an awfully long time, they could handle dealing with us for once.