Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iChat 2.0

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
LoopRumors.com claims to have feature set details of an upcoming iChat update due in early 2003:

Features include a resizable text field, added font/color menus, ICQ compatability, and VideoCamera interoperability.

Previous reports showed that the current version of iChat already contains Microphone and Camera icons, hinting at future functionality. Meanwhile, many users will remember comments regarding future Video Conferencing software from Jobs himself back in April.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Any new features will be welcome, but what I'd really like to see is MSN messenger compatibility.

Most of my friends use this (on PCs) and I don't have much chance in getting them all to switch to AOL.

I use MSN for OS X now, but I'd like to be able to use iChat. The picture thing is clever, especially when you send your own picture to someone who hasn't bothered to add any photos themselves.

What do you think is the chance of MSN compatibility? I guess its quite low.

Cheers, have a nice weekend everyone.

Dobbin

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
Great news

This is great! I'm glad apple is pushing iChat and not just letting it sit in its current state. All these changes being made are needed and wanted functions.

But wheres the functioning buddy list?! In its current state, anyone with more than a few friends signed on-line has trouble seeing all of them. I can't organize the list how I want. It has to be one of 3 ways apple specifies. I want to be able to add buddy groups, or an equivalent to this feature in AOL's AIM. This is my #1 request for iChat. I've sent apple many messages regarding this. I encourage others to do the same with any of their requests. Apple certainly reads them and takes them into consideration.

jfruh

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
But will its "away" messages work with standard AOL clients? That's a bug we've been waiting for a fix on!

jf

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
Originally posted by dobbin
What do you think is the chance of MSN compatibility? I guess its quite low.

It's really up to Microsoft for MSN compatibility. I don't know if apple wants to add it or not, but if they did, MS would have to say yes.

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
Originally posted by jfruh
But will its "away" messages work with standard AOL clients? That's a bug we've been waiting for a fix on!

jf

I definately agree with you. I have a PC and a Mac. AIM on windows and iChat aren't exactly compatible, although its a good start. Trying to view an away message of someone whose using the iChat client from AIM on windows (haven't tried it using AIM on a mac, but I'll assume it produces the same effects regardless of OS) sometimes does not work, and other times does.

Fins160

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2002
Buddy Groups

Yes, buddy groups! and working away messages! The client from AOL doesn't feel nearly as nice as iChat, and that's why I use iChat, but do we really need videocam support when we dont even have the basic functions down? Lets hope they just forgot to mention these.

Fins

Oh yeah, and why do we need messages when we are not away? that seems dumb. Just a thought.

kfury

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
AIM, interoperability, and video

One of the only significant restrictions placed on AOL/Time-Warner by the FTC, during their merger negotiations two years ago, was that of instant messaging interoperability. In short, the FTC declared that AOL doesn't have to open up their IM system to all third-parties until AOL's IM network supports rich media, such as audio or video streaming.

It'll be interesting to see if iChat's video will work with anything other than other iChat clients, because if it does work with the AIM network, and not just the Rendesvouz layers, this may be paving the way for Yahoo and MSN to finally have access to build interoperating clients.

Speaking as the former interaction designer for Yahoo Messenger, I've got to say that would be nice, since IM clients would then succeeed or fail based on how good they are, and not how many friends you happen to have on a given proprietary network.

Kevin Fox
http://fury.com

Dj Kioto

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Loggin'

I know it's a minor feature, but I'm glad iChat supports Logging, the AIM os X client only just added it a few days ago... but iChts sytem for logging is neat, but inneficient, each message session saves as its ownl file, aim for 9 tackd each session onto the end of one file for each screenname, which in my opinion was better. he least iChat could do is have a folder and date/time stamp for each session and screenname, it would make it alot easier to navigate the logs rather than labeling the DJ_kioto1, and DJ_kioto2.

anyone else have an opinion?

or am I speaking to an empty theater on this issue

Umerica

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Chicago, IL
TABS

All I really want is TABS. I switched back to Adium purely for that reason. Feature parity with AOL IM would be great. Video and Photos would be neat, but useless for the time being. I just want TABS.

NoWonder

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2002
NoWhere
I understand there may be legal issues preventing apple from implementing MSN. So, what I want them to do is implement a plug-in architecture, so third parties can write their own...

--nw

zkmusa

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Dallas, TX
I use iChat daily nowdays, but here are some things I'd like:

1) The ability to sort buddy lists by groups. This would be really helpful. What would be cool is if you could have like color-coded groups that you can turn on and off sort of like iCal.

2) The ability to edit your buddy info/profile! We can view them. Why can't we edit our own? I hope they add this feature into the new iChat.

3) The ability to know that an IM has been sent if you're working on a document that's taking up a full screen. Currently, if you receive an IM (not the initial IM, but the IMs after the first one), iChat will bounce the dock once, but it will not keep reminding you that you have an unanswered IM. The Windows AIM flashes the taskbar icon, and Adium will bounce your dock icon several times until you read the message. This is one thing I find annoying about iChat.

Other than those features, I love iChat! I think it's one of the best IM clients I have ever used!

rickey939

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
Land of Oz
Re: Loggin'

Originally posted by Dj Kioto
I know it's a minor feature, but I'm glad iChat supports Logging, the AIM os X client only just added it a few days ago... but iChts sytem for logging is neat, but inneficient, each message session saves as its ownl file, aim for 9 tackd each session onto the end of one file for each screenname, which in my opinion was better. he least iChat could do is have a folder and date/time stamp for each session and screenname, it would make it alot easier to navigate the logs rather than labeling the DJ_kioto1, and DJ_kioto2.

anyone else have an opinion?

or am I speaking to an empty theater on this issue

Wow, oh my god...amen amen amen! I've been saying this since Day 1 of iChat. They need to implement what Adium has for logging, simply easy and searchable. The current implementation is crap. I think Unsanity is working on a future haxie though for this so we'll have to see.

I am glad I am not the only one who hates the current logging state.

Timothy

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Seattle, WA
Chat market too fractured...

Until chat on the internet is universally accessible to all the various systems, it will remain a novelty and not a serious tool.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I would switch to iChat in a second if I could carry on talking to my MSN friends. Shame it does not look like Apple can or is able to do this. Software such as Proteus is able to connect to MSN. MSN Messenger is a terrible program (stability / file transfer wise).

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Re: Novel Idea!

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Maybe Apple should concentrate on making the current version work correctly instead of adding features?

Seems reasonable, no?

it might be reasonable if you were specific on what didn't work...

...granted the away messages don't always work right...but everything else about it seems to work just fine

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
I'd really like to see AOL chatroom support. Instant messaging is nice, but if you don't know many people and just want to chat in a chatroom it doesn't give you much. Sure I can get up AOL Instant Messanger and hunt down a room, but I can't hunt down rooms with iChat. And how about Yahoo support. Instant messaging doesn't work half the time on Yahoo messanger for the Mac, and forget it when it comes to offline Yahoo messangers instant messages. I use VirtualPC just because Yahoo Messanger for PC supports offline Yahoo instant messages. Not to mention I've tried Chitchat and Charla and neither gives me the offline messages or consistant regular instant messages. We need a chatroom/instant message client that covers all the major services.

Dj Kioto

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Copy AIM?

AIM has gotten us really used to a certain set of featues, and an expected UI.

iChat is a good first try from apple, thought I dont think they should go and try to exactly emulate AIMs UI.

It would be unbecoming of Apple to give us an iChat which is a feature/UI for feature/UI copy of AIM in an apple "skin". I hope they work in some of the basics we have come to expect from our IM clients, (especially buddy groups, profile editing, buddy list access), and fix some bugs like away message discovery.

oh, and one small question I may as well post here:

in the beginning of a sentance, one is supposed to capitolize the first letter, I'm sure that grammerically "IChat" at the beginning of a sentance is proper, but it the modern vernacular of writing, is it propper to use "iChat" at the beginning

retaks

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2002
IM clients

why cant people just stick with one client and make it simple =| we havel ike 10 IM clients that all do pretty much the same thing. Every company wants thier own clients at least aim and icq will be working for ichat but then you still got the other clients. No way am i installing msn, jabber, yahoo, and all the other clients ill just stick with whatever ichat brings.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
I agree...right now I do most of my chatting in Yahoo because Yahoo appears to be the only one with a Mac chatroom outside of IRC that isn't surrounded by technogeeks who condescend anyone who appears to be anyone less than a million line programmer, and that isn't so crowded that I can't get a question asked. Still I miss the days of TalkCity which had a nice moderated chat channel for Mac users.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
okay, i am probably the only one who wants this feature, but I would like to see some pgp support in ichat to send encrypted messages. They would need some timeout to cache your passphrase, and an easyway to clear the cache. That would be cool and useful, otherwise, particularly when using ichat with wireless, your messages are going in the clear. It is trivial to use ethereal to capture only aim packets and to see what everyone around you is chatting about

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Copy AIM?

Originally posted by Dj Kioto

in the beginning of a sentance, one is supposed to capitolize the first letter, I'm sure that grammerically "IChat" at the beginning of a sentance is proper, but it the modern vernacular of writing, is it propper to use "iChat" at the beginning

Nope.

iChat is a proper term and you can leave it uncapitalized i the beginning of a sentence. However if you are uncomfortable with that you can simply:

"iChat" is my life and I post about it daily.

So you correct the spelling on all those internet startups gone bust?

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.