Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
I'm just getting started with iChat (1.01 OSX 10.2.8).
When I chat my full name is shown not my .mac username. I thought that this was taken from my .mac account personal info. so I used another .mac account I use as an alias with fake personal info. but my real full name is still shown.
How can I change this? My name is unique and i don't want all 'n sundry 'phoneing me at home etc. :confused:

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
It is getting this info from your address card, no other users can see your full name, they will see only your aim or .mac name.

Also be sure to set your privacy level, if you are concerned with random users obtaining your user name then you may want to increase your security settings in iChat.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
mpw said:
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease.

Welcome :D The same goes with your added buddies. The names will be taken from the address cards and mask over their aim or .mac name.

If you click on your name, in iChat, you can bounce back and forth between showing your log in name and your address card name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.