Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2003
Apple just released this on their site. It lets you video conf. w/ AIM 5.5 users on Windows!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, how sweet this is.
I can't believe this just happend :D . Saved my day. Now I can start thinking about getting one of these neat iSights...
Thanx for the good news.

Comment

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Diatribe
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, how sweet this is.
I can't believe this just happend :D . Saved my day. Now I can start thinking about getting one of these neat iSights...
Thanx for the good news.

This might be the most important development for iSight/iChat yet. They've now eliminated the principle reason it was a waste of money: you couldn't talk to 95% of PC users. Problem solved.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
This might be the most important development for iSight/iChat yet. They've now eliminated the principle reason it was a waste of money: you couldn't talk to 95% of PC users. Problem solved.

I agree. Only question I have is will the iSight camera itself work on a Windows PC using AIM 5.5? If not, Apple is missing out on an opportunity to sell more of them.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Even if it did, it's rare to find many PCs with Firewire built in.

Well, it's not nearly so rare as it used to be (thanks in part to the iPod), although of course the sub $500 junk boxes almost always never have FireWire.

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well if your PC had Firewire, then all I can see needed would be the proper drivers and software to run the hardware, which I imagine, Apple would have to provide with iSights in the future for cross compatibility.

Comment

kerni

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Germany
AIM "Talk" feature not supported

I tried to do a Talk using latest beta of AIM running in VirtualPC and iChat V2.1 Beta. AIM said "Talk Feature" not supported by the other user :-(

Comment

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Even if it did, it's rare to find many PCs with Firewire built in.

Isn't PC FireWire only the 4-pin version that doesn't provide power? 'Cuz the iSight is powered through the FireWire port on the macs. My guess is that unless they add a way to power the iSight externally (and who wants to see that cord added to their rats nest?) that it won't work on a PC.

Comment

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
just wanted to say that i gave this a try with a friend who was using AIM with me on a PB + iSight

he says the quality was great, but because he didnt have a webcam i couldnt se ehim. also, the video disconnected after 10 secs, with a message reading "no packets recieved in the last 10 sec"

apparently its awsome quality video

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by mactastic
Isn't PC FireWire only the 4-pin version that doesn't provide power? 'Cuz the iSight is powered through the FireWire port on the macs. My guess is that unless they add a way to power the iSight externally (and who wants to see that cord added to their rats nest?) that it won't work on a PC.

Nah, that's "iLink" or Sony's version of FireWire. It works fine for importing off of a DV camera, but won't work with an iPod or anything that needs power. That's all you'll find on their VAIOs, but HP and others use the real 6 pin IEEE 1394 FireWire.

Comment

Hodapp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Originally posted by jimthorn
And adding a PCI Firewire card to your PC should be easy enough.

Buying a Mac would be even easier!

Also, does this new update fix any bugs, or just add new features? I've noticed my memory usage in iChat being quite high... but I'm sure Steve Jobs made it like that for a reason, so whatever, I'm not qualified to judge his decisions.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
brought an iSight because of this.

Seems it can't do one way video chat, both way audio chat with IM 5.5

If this release only gives the ability of Both Way video, without any audio, then its pretty lame.

Comment

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Louisville, KY
I'm really glad to see this release. I think Apple's going to see a huge increase in iSight sales once this Beta becomes a full release.

Oh, and in case anyone is speculating on when the full version will be released, the documentation states that the Beta will expire at the end of March.

Comment

kerni

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Germany
Video only?

Was it video only or did audio also work?

Originally posted by Heart Break Kid
just wanted to say that i gave this a try with a friend who was using AIM with me on a PB + iSight

he says the quality was great, but because he didnt have a webcam i couldnt se ehim. also, the video disconnected after 10 secs, with a message reading "no packets recieved in the last 10 sec"

apparently its awsome quality video

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.