iChat deletes added buddy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frost1235, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Frost1235 macrumors newbie

Had a macbook pro for a few days and love it so far. (Even bought David Pogue's book to learn it all!!)

But I have hit a rather annoying stump and would appreciate some consultation.

In iChat, I set up the program with two of my Aim accounts, my .me account, and the stock bonjour program in there. (No idea how to use it, but that isn't the problem.)
    I can chat, and voice chat as far as I have checked and done, but once I try to ADD a new buddy to my list (On the .me or AIM) the same results happen. The name is added for a few seconds, flashes, then just disappears.

Does anyone know what to do t solve this?

2. Frost1235 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've honestly searched the forums, but there is no answer.

The closest answer I was able to get was "remove and add the account back to ichat." I attempted that, and the biddy was added, but I STILL can not add someone without the name glowing/flashing for a few seconds, then the name disappearing from my list.

Someone as to know? Would that someone be able to help me out? ^-^

3. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

This worked for me:

If iChat is Open then Quit it.
    Open Activity Monitor from Application/Utilities
    Check the list for iChatAgent (It does not have an icon but should appear higher up the list than the DOCK)
    Quit it with the red Quit button and confirm Force Quit. (This is because iChatAgent does not quit when iChat is Quit - You can also wait it out)

Now go to Users/(your account)/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist and com.apple.ichatAgent.plist and restart iChat.

4. Frost1235 thread starter macrumors newbie

I gave that a try with Apple's tech support, and it got it to work once. Any other buddy, I think I would either have to do the same steps over, or would have no effect.

Thank you though, I'll see if I can repeat this step to get any new developments out of it.