Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
I am bored and wish to do something constructive with my time. (Not sure if I will still have a lot of time after i start my masters in a week.)

I am really interested in iChat, but the problem is I don't have any friends on AOL or .Mac. I know that iChat does not have tabs too.

So I was wondering if I could write a prog that looks almost exactly like iChat (not sure how well i can do this) and works with MSN for starters and has tabs. I have no experience in cocoa, and so this will be a chance for me to learn too.

Will this be illegal? I am aware that there is adium and proteus around. but none of them looks like ichat. I'm a sucker for looks but lack talent in the creativity deparment. :eek:

what do you guys think?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think go for it, there's nothing illegal about it. There are iChat themes for many chat progs and AFAIK they haven't got in trouble. If you get it workin' be sure to post it, I can host the file for you if need be :)

nemex

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Mexico
There's a workaround to have your MSN contacts directly in iChat. It involves setting up a Jabber account. For the basic chatting, works pretty well, don't think you can send files or have voice/video.

Take a look at this link:

http://allforces.com/?p=17&akst_action=share-this

Just make sure to chose a Jabber server that supports the msn protocol, there's a huge list to pick from. I found that 12jabber is a good one

cheers :apple:

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
yes, it sounds like you just need to use jabber to get msn in ichat, though i find adium just to be all around better, so stopped doing that some time ago

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.