iChat "too many login attempts" message many times. Something wrong w/ account?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mryclrconner, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mryclrconner macrumors newbie

My wireless internet is constantly flickering on and off and by association so does iChat. Earlier today, after one of the normal sign offs, I get a message while trying to sign in that says:
    "Could not connect to AIM
    You have attempted to log in too often in a short period of time. Wait a few minutes before trying to log in again."
    This obviously perplexed me, so I googled for solutions and tried everything I found:
    -Re-starting.
    -Changing the port numbers.
    -Deleting all the iChat preferences and re-starting.
    I also tried going onto AIM express from my Macbook and it told me that I had "reached the rate limit" or something and that I should try again. After that, I went downstairs to my PC and tried logging on from there. Here too it gave me an alert that says "You are attempting to sign on again too soon. Please try again later."
    Now, a thought popped into my head after all of this that it was the specific account causing problems. Sure enough, when I tried to log in to an older screen name on iChat, everything worked perfectly. I even made a new screen name: perfect. The thing is that these screen names are obsolete... no one uses them anymore and I had far too many buddies to collect them all back...
    I need help! Please, anything you could tell me would be GREATLY appreciated. Especially if there is a way to retrieve the buddy list for the non-working screen name, that would help me a lot.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Try to fix the issue with your intermittent wireless network. You'll eventually have the same issue with a new account and along with the AIM issues, it may cause other issues in the future, such as downloading music/videos.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

try adding and deleting the account. then log in again.

4. Mak-man macrumors newbie

Has nothing to do with your computer or wireless router

It's an AIM server problem. You may have established some setting that your account login is caught in a loop, or someone is trying to hack your account. I had the problem pop up but it also appeared on my iphone, tying the problem back to AIM. Simply establish a new account