ichat

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
921
1
Greenville,SC
My iChat has been weird lately. If I'm on for a while i can talk to people but when they talk to him nothing happens. As if the person is away from there pc. Anyone else have problems?
 

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
2,511
0
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i have the problem where suddenly people can type to me...like i'm online, i can talk to them and they receive the message, but it doesn't show me what they type and it doesn't show what i type to them, it's like the whole program just freezes up and stops recognizing the network connection, if i log out and log back on it works just fine...for a while...until it happens again
 

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
1,210
13
Louisville, KY
If your computer goes to sleep, it stops running iChat. I used to have that problem, so I set my computer to never go to sleep. Now iChat works perfectly. Well, not exactly perfectly, but it works enought to use.
 

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
968
129
bat country
ichat still has a lot of bugs to be stomped and a lot of features to be added. rendevouz has never worked on my computer/network and neither has file transfer. hopefully there will be an ichat update soon that addresses the most urgent of these issues, but if there was, we'd probably have heard about it on macrumors by now.
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,563
46
iChat sucks. Maybe a few more updates and then it will be good. Stick to Adium or something.

iJon
 

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
646
0
Ladera Ranch, CA
iChat sucks...

I agree with iJon, iChat does suck. It shows that I'm online but every one of my AOL buddies are offline. iChat has major flaws, but then again so does the latest version of AOL instant messenger. I tried downloading Adium from download.com but got a broken link. Any idea where I can go to get a copy of Adium?
 

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
1,996
0
I agree with the rest of you, too. iChat works, but is deservant of it's 1.0 status. I get all the same errors you all mentioned.

Adium is a much better, less bloated program, IMO.
 

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
adium seems pretty cool, the way ichat should have been made...

very dissappointed in ichat...


Anyone else hate those stupid text bubbles......

there should be an option to turn those off...
 

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
9,591
3
serendipity
funny thing is, i hadn't had any problems with ichat quitting until last night.... when it quit twice. but it might have been a network issue..... i'm not sure

can adium do file transfers? if not.... that sucks.
 

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
97
0
Ohio
i like adium, but the whole lack of away messages keeps me away from it. I use aim/ichat mostly because it tells me what my friends are up to...we just all leave away messages when we're gone. Its like a ever-changing digital answering machine
 

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Re: ichat

Originally posted by robotrenegade
My iChat has been weird lately. If I'm on for a while i can talk to people but when they talk to him nothing happens. As if the person is away from there pc. Anyone else have problems?
All the time, and there is not any kind of fix! It stinks i know! We need an iChat revision!
 

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by Thirteenva
adium seems pretty cool, the way ichat should have been made...

very dissappointed in ichat...




Anyone else hate those stupid text bubbles......

there should be an option to turn those off...
hey! i like the bubbles!
 

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by Biggles


View>show as text
in my opinion, i like the bubbles, but i do think there shold be an option to turn them off. it is an interesing part of the iChat interface, which is more rounded and soft, than sharp and in your face like aim is!
 

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
1,210
13
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by samdweck


in my opinion, i like the bubbles, but i do think there shold be an option to turn them off. it is an interesing part of the iChat interface, which is more rounded and soft, than sharp and in your face like aim is!
I guess you didn't understand what you quoted in your last post. He was telling you that there IS a way to turn the bubbles off. Click on View, and Click on Show As Text.
 

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
6,253
17
Orlando
I haven't had any of the problems you're talking about, the only problem I have is that it doesn't have the ability to display a profile. I never touch AIM or Fire anymore.

JW
 

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by skywalker
I haven't had any of the problems you're talking about, the only problem I have is that it doesn't have the ability to display a profile. I never touch AIM or Fire anymore.

JW
could u do me a fave and check to see what v. u have? i have 1.0 v51
 

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by iJon
iChat sucks. Maybe a few more updates and then it will be good. Stick to Adium or something.

iJon

right now i am still using ichat b/c i can't stand to go back to aim's interface, but i really hope they update this SOON! any idea when?
 

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
1,210
13
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by samdweck
right now i am still using ichat b/c i can't stand to go back to aim's interface, but i really hope they update this SOON! any idea when?
I hope they add iChat to the list of updates in the 10.2.2 update. Usually they release it to developers and add improvements to other Apps when they release it to the general public. I wouldn't expect any big iChat update until 10.3 comes out, but you never know. Maybe 10.2.2 or 10.2.3 will bring it to a v1.5 or v2.0.