iCloud backup and iCloud photos. A warning to you all.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jakeycov, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Jakeycov macrumors member

Jakeycov

Hi.. I wanted to share a recent experience with you all.

I took my wife's iPhone in for a screen replacement. They asked if iCloud as backed up. And it was. Or so I thought. I checked in iCloud and it said that the last backup was in the middle of the night. So okay.

They gave my wife a new phone. When we logged into iCloud to download all the data a whole days worth of photos were missing. Annoyingly it was of my son singing in a school assembly, so my wife was pretty upset.

So, why didn't they get backed up?

It turns out that if you have turned on iCloud Photo Library iCloud backup no longer backs up your photos. It leaves that to iCloud Photo Library. It turns out that both of these back up at different times and not together. As my wife had taken lots of photos and a very long video the day before iCloud Photo Library still hadn't uploaded all the images, even though iCloud backup says that this phone is backed up.

So, if you have iCloud Photo Library turned on, always check the status of your backup in BOTH menu options.

Today I went to Bristol cribs causeway Apple Store as the battery was playing up and I mentioned it to the guy there at the Genius Bar. He was adamant that I was wrong, and actually got very very aggressive with me. He apparently deals with people every single day and I was wrong. I pointed him to a small link in iCloud backup here it is:

Click on backup in iCloud settings and it says: automatically backup data such as your photo library, accounts, documents, health data, HomeKit configuration and settings when this phone is plugged in, locked and connected to wifi. Learn more.

Well... When you click on learn more a long page opens in safari. Half way down the page it says: what is backed up? Photos and videos on your iOS devices, unless you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your iOS device. If you turn on iCloud Photo Library, your photos and videos are already stored in iCloud, so they aren't included in your iCloud backup.

... So there you have it.

I showed the genius the link and happily informed him that it was him that was wrong, not me and maybe he should tell his colleagues.

The moral of the story? Check backup in both places and don't believe a word the Genius Bar says!! ;-)

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What you are describing is a result of how Apple does things. When first introduced, iCloud backed up photos (as long as you had it selected).

Then Apple ended up launching icloud.com. You could view your contacts and your calendars and so on. But people wanted to know why, if iCloud was backing up photos, they could not view their photos online.

So, ultimately around the release time of iOS 8 Apple made this possible. But to do that it required that you upgrade icloud on your phone (if you were coming from an earlier iOS release). That added the second layer to this and people forgot about the previous version of iCloud which Apple has still left working.

I have never upgraded and I do not use the version that puts my photos online. I use the previous version which is not accessible online.

Just sorry it took being burned by this for you or others to figure out what's going on.