iCloud Backup - "Next Backup Size" Huge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by al0513, Apr 9, 2013.

1. al0513 macrumors 6502

Done a little bit of searching but doesnt seem like I found any answers.

My "Next Backup Size" is 5.1GB - .5GB bigger than the current. I have all of the apps below that turned off. Nothing should be syncing outside of text messages and contacts.

Any clue?

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

There was a bug with iOS 6 that was saving media from texts/iMessages incorrectly, causing unusual backup size growth. The only way to fix it was restore and star over, without using additional software to get into your phone's files and delete them. But this was a temporary solution as within a few days, your backups would grow out of proportion again.

This bug was fixed in either 6.1.1 or 6.1.2.

3. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Yes, iOS 6.1 fixed the bug of SMS/MMS/iMessage attachments (video, huge GIFs, photos, etc) never being deleted.
    However, SMS/MMS/iMessage attachments deleted *before* 6.1 was installed still remain. They are not "cleaned up" by installing 6.1+.

Only jailbreaking or a clean restore (and NOT restoring from backup) can remove the old attachments.

4. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Is this related to the "Other" data being incredibly huge?
    I have removed all I could think of and even tinkered with iExplorer and PhoneClean, but I still have 3.5 GB of "Other" stuff shown in iTunes. Deleting the iCloud backup and disabling every single app, ie. only backing up the system stuff, says that the next backup will be 1.5 GB.