iCloud backup speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jnardis, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

IP4 says it's going to take an estimated 3 hours to back-up 2.2GB. Is that normal? Seems like an extrememly long time for such little amount of space.

2. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i've noticed that the backup was taking longer than normal recently. I was in the apple store connected to their wifi and trying to do a backup of my phone to iCloud and it took about 10 minutes.

The first time i did it in the same apple store when i was backing up my 3gs when moving to my 4s, it took me about 2 minutes.

Not INSANELY longer like hours, but it does seem to be taking longer.

3. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Could I be doing something wrong? My internet connection is extremely fast.

4. AlphaVictor87, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

All i've done is go Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Back Up Now (when connected to wifi of course)

EDIT: trying it now on my work's wifi - Time to backup is well wow it popped up and said 1 hour, then quickly went down to 20 minutes, as i was typing this it's down to 10 min, now 6.

Maybe something is going on.

5. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok well I did the same thing. I started at 5 hours. 2 hours has passed and I have another 3 hours to go.

So how does this work? If I lose my iphone and get a new iphone, will I be able to restore from this backup with my un and pw? Also, can I back up to my computer also if I turn icloud off and plug the phone into itunes?

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Yes once that is backed up, if you either lose your phone or even just buying a new one or getting a replacement you can backup the new phone with that backup.

Also yes if you think iCloud is too slow you can back it up on your iTunes. When you plug in your phone you will have to go down on the summary and there should be an option "back up to this computer" or "back up to iCloud"

7. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Still 3 more hours to go... :rolleyes:

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Whats your outbound Internet bandwidth?

2.2GB over three hours is something like 1.7Mbps not counting any overhead or latency.

I'm pretty sure subsequent backups are differential and would take far less time.

Also - although using iCloud backup turns off automatic backup to your computer through iTunes, you can still perform manual backups to iTunes by right-clicking (control-click) the iPhone under DEVICES in iTunes and selecting "Back Up"

9. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

What are you guys getting when using wifi over a high speed internet?

I only get 24Mbit down and 10Mbit up, while 10Mbit up is my max and isn't by any means fast, the down speed is only a 4th of my down speed (which is 100Mbit, on the macbook i get easily 100-110Mbit everytime)

That should be about 5.5minutes per GB, say 30minutes for 5GB download. And 1h25minutes to upload 5GB... for me.

10. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

My download speed is 10mbs and upload speed is about 2mbs. I forgot I was at work. My home speed is much faster downloads at 24mbs and 10mbps for upload. It was also 5 hours to backup.

11. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

24Mbit? You should try a tptest with the iPhone connected to wifi and see what you get. I'm thinking that your wifi on the iPhone may be crooked..

Is 24Mbit considered extremely fast over there? :D Though Sweden is known for having really high speed internet at home.. Nowadays everyone seems to have at least 100Mbit, while some has even up to 200Mbit at home.. Hehe..

12. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I found the first backup took some time, but subsequent updates went by in minutes.

13. wharzhee macrumors 6502

talkin about all these, i noticed that itunes seems to be getting slower after i enabled itunes match.

but it varies, sometimes its really fast, sometimes its really slow.
    i used to be able to download a hd tv show in less than a few minutes, now it sometime takes 15mins to download a song, but its eradic.