iCloud Bookmark Sync not working

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by danny_w, Mar 15, 2012.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I have Lion on 2 Macs and iOS 5.01 on an iPhone 4, with Bookmarks enabled in iCloud sync on all devices. The bookmarks seems to be fine on the 2 Macs but on my iPhone they are all messed up with mostly a bunch of empty folders. They are the correct folders but they are empty! I assume that what is in iCloud is correct since the bookmarks on both Macs are correct. Any ideas?

2. bayourock macrumors member

I am having a similar problem, but it's the reverse.

My iOS devices are synced up fine, but my lion MacBook pro isn't getting newly added bookmarks made on my iOS devices and vise versa.....

Any ideas????

3. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

What browsers are you guys using?

If you're using Chrome, try turning off the bookmark syncing that Chrome does.

Also, if you're using any other bookmark syncing tools like Xmarks, then that could be the problem. I had multiple setups that were both trying to sync bookmarks and all that happened was that I got a load of empty folders appearing (at least a few new ones every day!)

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I am using Safari only on all Macs and iPhone. The bookmarks sync fine between my Macs but all bookmark folders are empty on my iPhone (weird that the folders are there but nothing else). I don't use any other syncing software. Everything worked fine on MobileMe but not with iCloud. Apple needs to bring back the capability to view your bookmarks via their website (feature removed with MobileMe), and also the ability to not only merge bookmarks but replace bookmarks on my device or on iCloud (feature removed with iCloud). It seems like Apple's cloud services keep going backwards (and they have never been very good to start with).

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

On the iOS device, turn iCloud bookmark sync off and when it asks tell it to delete all the bookmarks. Then turn it back on and they should start syncing.

6. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I've done that multiple times. As I said the folders sync but they are empty.

7. Neilime macrumors newbie

8. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I finally fixed my problem by resetting to factory and activating as a new phone. I also tried restoring from an older backup and had the same issue with the bookmarks, but restoring to the latest fixed that problem. To be fair my older backup was made from a jailbroken phone (my current phone is a factory unlocked iPhone 4) so that might be the issue right there.