iCloud Drive and Storage Use - Which plan are you on?

Which iCloud Storage plan are you on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikzn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
I am curious to know what the break down of what plans are best for different users and what if any use iCloud Drive is used for ?

Curious to hear any comments on iCloud Drive use and what storage plan you use it and support your use of multiple apple devices?

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Ideally, I c/would be comfy with 500GiB, but--since it doesn't exist--I have only one choice (2TiB).

Since my Photos/iMessage databases are shared amongst the comps/phone, that's 310GiB right off the top.

Documents consume 50GiB; Backups 0,5GiB; Mail 0,2GiB

That leaves me with 1,65TiB of 'space', the entirety of which is currently unutilised.

OTOH, if I kept my Photos database to a minimum (e.g., copy-off-locally anything older than the past week), I could probably drop to the 200GiB plan: sadly, the USD7/mo is not that critical, and I let my laziness persist ;)

I had/ve plans to upload some of the multi-GiB of data on-hand to maintain my strategy of multiple-multiple backups, but the time to measure the space between the tyre-and-the-road has been lacking for god-knows-how-long.

Local/Cloud storage is cheap, and there's only so many copies a person can mentor in a Day, so There It Is <smile>

Regards, splifingate

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I just use the "free plan". I treat it as if it's an external that's always plugged in. It's one of three ways I back up my files. I do not use it for photos, and don't make my own videos, so I'm not even close to running out of space.

mikzn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
I don't use it for photos either - would need the 2TB if I did - lol - I do rely on it heavily for Keynote presentations and access to technical documents - works great and a bargain at .99 cents per month

FWIW - I have noticed that even my "iMessage" storage history (4.2g) is almost more than the free plan allocates :eek: -

Am on the 50g - good deal for a "buck a month"

lemieuxfan67

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I have the 2TB plan, mainly because of photos backup (approx. 300GB alone). If 500GB or 1TB were available I would go that route. To me, the cost (technically $8.50 per month since I always get iTunes cards at least 15% off) is worth the peace of mind of another backup, that is synced automatically. I lost a majority of my photos around 8 years ago when both my primary hard drive and backup failed at the same time. While this is a rare case scenario, I can't risk that happening again...especially now that I have 3 kids and years of memories.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
None of them.
I don't put my trust in "the cloud".
That means: ANYBODY'S cloud...

iTarbuck

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
I am curious to know what the break down of what plans are best for different users and what if any use iCloud Drive is used for ?

Curious to hear any comments on iCloud Drive use and what storage plan you use it and support your use of multiple apple devices?
I store all of my files in the iCloud Drive, and love it! I can access all of them remotely from all of my devices, including iOS, find the upload and download very fast and use it to sync the desktops of my Mac and MacBook for simultaneous operation. I back all files up on an external SSD for safe keeping each month.

Due to my OCD, I often clean out old or unwanted files so my storage at the moment only requires the £2.99 plan - and hopefully it will stay that way!

For anyone skeptical about converting to iCloud from HDD or SSD - take the leap!

Reactions: mikzn