Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebxb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
have Macbook Pro and running out space so a ring for $9.99 per month iCloud drive storage.
Only to find out Macbook keeps a lot of the files "imaged" on the hard drive in a directory called Mobile Documents !!!! WTH? The Apple Mac software never fails to confuse people and obfuscate whats going on under the hood... Your Thoughts welcome.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
My thoughts are that iCloud is primarily a synced drive, rather than an external storage drive, that allows you to sync documents and photos across all compatible devices.

For strict storage, there are likely better options, cloud storage, and external disks, if syncing with the Apple productivity apps isn't a chief concern.

But if you are running short on disk space, go to Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options and select "Optimize Mac Storage" This will allow your Mac to purge older documents from your local drive as space is needed.

Also, click your hard drive and choose "Manage Storage." Choose the Store in iCloud, Optimize Storage and Empty Trash options to help free space.

Reactions: Weaselboy

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
I had a MacBook Air with a 128 GB drive, and was always futzing around because it would fill up for various reasons. In the end, I sold it and bought a new laptop with a bigger drive.

Think about it; these devices really keep their value. Over its lifetime, I paid maybe $180 per year for this laptop. It might be a much better idea to simply sell, and get a new laptop with big drive. Because personally, I like to keep absolute control over my files and iCloud is a hands-off approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.