iCloud has lost all my Contacts

Colster20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Ireland
I picked up my phone this morning and tried to make a call to a number from my contacts, when I went in, all my contacts were gone, and they were replaced by two contacts I had never heard of:
Babushka Fix
lubirea Vieti Mele

No idea what either of these are.

When i went into my iMac, my contacts were there and then suddenly refreshed and were replaced by the two above.

I have logged onto iCloud.com and all of my contacts there have also disappeared.

Is there any way of getting these back, don't fancy having to rein put them.

HELP

Martyimac

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Sorry this happened to you but this is my primary beef with icloud. If icloud looses your info, that is synced to your other stuff and suddenly all is lost. Apple should have an option to not allow syncing unless you can see what is being synced, EG changed, deleted, modified. But that went away with mobilme. It's why I don't trust icloud with ANY of my data.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Call apple support they can restore them from earlier data!

Then... Change your password! Actually do that now!

Last edited:

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
I'm not sure what the Apple IT guys could do for you, but if you get them back, you NEED this app.

Contacts Sync

It will copy your iCloud contacts to a gmail account and keep them synced. It works like a charm.
This... And after you get them back sync them with a GMail account. Way more reliable IMO.

Jedii

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
I'm not sure what the Apple IT guys could do for you, but if you get them back, you NEED this app.

Contacts Sync

It will copy your iCloud contacts to a gmail account and keep them synced. It works like a charm.
Wait, what? Gmail already synchronises contacts.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Another thing you can do (once your data is back), since you're on a mac:

Go into Contacts, and Click File -> Export -> Address Book Archive. This lets you save a local backup copy of your contacts.

This way, getting back your contacts is just a matter of clicking File -> Import, and choosing that archive file. Everything comes back and you sync with iCloud to let it populate everything else that gets synced.

BK.

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Just restore them from your backup.

...you have backup, right? Do you use Time Machine?

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Google Sync is infinitely better than iCloud. It syncs immediately via exchange, is compatible with any device, and it's practically impossible to lose contacts since you can restore your contact list to any point from the past 30 days.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Google Sync is infinitely better than iCloud. It syncs immediately via exchange, is compatible with any device, and it's practically impossible to lose contacts since you can restore your contact list to any point from the past 30 days.
Yup!

Colster20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Ireland

Yep use Time Machine, I will try this, I tried to restore phone from iCloud backup and this didn't work.

Having to reset phone and reset back up again is a pain but needs must.

Thanks for the help.

C

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
Some people don't like having multiple email accounts in one email program. I find it easier to keep them separate.
I guess I am just being dumb, but can you please explain what you mean? I have a Gmail account (personal) set up as exchange and an exchange account (work) both in the standard mail client. They both sync contacts and calendars as well as mail. I use the unified inbox to view my mail.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I guess I am just being dumb, but can you please explain what you mean? I have a Gmail account (personal) set up as exchange and an exchange account (work) both in the standard mail client. They both sync contacts and calendars as well as mail. I use the unified inbox to view my mail.
Yeah, the unified email thing. I tried it but I couldn't stand it. I'm actually using the free Gmail app from Google and it's pretty darned nice.

Colster20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Ireland
I am dying here, I went into my Time Machine backups to resave the contacts but could not find the file where they are saved, I came across the link below:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answ...address_book_data_from_a_time_machine_backup/

But when I went to the Application Support folder there was no Address Book Folder.

Never again will I trust iCloud with my contacts, NEVER.

All and Any ideas are of course greatly appreciated.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
This is I why I've always backed up to a DVDr or hard drive. Its nice to send the clouds, but you can always keep a copy on file. I guess that doesn't help now.

Look around your library, you can restore it from there. It happened to my iCal. There is a copy kept there too for Address. Check the web and see how to restore your Address book.

Once you've done that.. back up your info to disc.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.

I may of missed this, but did he say he was using a Mac? I don't want to go off assuming that he has a certain application and giving advice that might not help him.

But as always, restore from a backup in iTunes is always there too. Regardless of the OS.

EDIT: Ok, I reread the thread and see he's got Time machine. Yep, this is an option as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.