iCloud Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ant the ninja, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ant the ninja macrumors regular

ant the ninja

Hello Everyone,

So my girlfriend has had this issue since her 4S. Shes now on a 5 but no matter what she does, she cannot back it up to iCloud. It constantly gives the error that there is not enough room to back up. We have tried everythign, deleting anything it tried to back up, setting up as a new phone, everything. She does not have any music on her phone, maybe 2 gigs, if that of pictures and barely any apps.

Anyone have any insight?

2. ant the ninja thread starter macrumors regular

ant the ninja

She brought it to an apple store back when she had the 4S, the guy couldnt figure it out. Told her to set it up as a new phone when she got home, she did that and it still didnt work so she gave up. I figured I would ask.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Does she have another iOS device?

4. ant the ninja thread starter macrumors regular

ant the ninja

Nope, only one.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Have her log out of iCloud, and create a new iCloud ID (email@icloud.com). Start fresh and should be able to back up and use that as the new iCloud account.

6. ant the ninja thread starter macrumors regular

ant the ninja

Wow I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that, I'm going to have her try that. What about her contacts? Will logging into that new iCloud account cause it erase things on her phone?

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Everything will remain on her phone, she will not lose anything.

I've had to do this before. Logging out of the account does only that, logs out of the account. Create the new iCloud ID, log into that, and then back up the phone. All information will be retained on the device during the transition, logging out does not delete anything.

Should work fine.

8. ant the ninja thread starter macrumors regular

ant the ninja

Thank you very much! Going to have her try that tonight.

9. ant the ninja thread starter macrumors regular

ant the ninja

Ehh still no dice. I just called her and had her do all of that while on the phone and when she hung up and tried to back it up it still says there is no space available.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

And she created a new iCloud ID? It would be a different email than what it was previously. she would have to go to settings, iCloud, then hit delete account. Create the new one, sign in with that, then try again.

If she did all of that, then I am completely stumped. It's a new iCloud account, nothing should be holding it back. Did she try a hard reset after? (hold home and power buttons together until phone restarts).

I'm not sure how this could be related to hardware, so I don't think it is..New iCloud account should solve it..

11. ant the ninja thread starter macrumors regular

ant the ninja

Yeah I was certain that would work, no hard reset after but I had her compeltely delete icloud off her phone, create the new account and log back into icloud with the new one and still nothing. I might have her just pay the 20 a year for more space, personally I dont think she even needs it because there is no way in hell her phone is trying to back up anywhere near the 5gb but I dont know what else to do with it. She has back ups on her computer but I figured it would be easier to constantly have it just incase.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

did you also delete the backups for the 4S?
    I would just dfelete all backups
    settings>storage&backup>manage storage>
    there delete all backups and any data not needed, you can also see how much everything including apps is taking space inside icloud.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Have her go to settings, iCloud, Storage & Backup, Manage Storage, Then click the backup (Under backup's), should be titled "(Her name)'s iPhone). Under Backup Options it will say "Next Bakcup Size" - how much does it say it is?

Also, under the Manage Storage page, look towards the bottom for where it says Mail (and has the mail icon) - how much does it say next to that?

14. cynics macrumors G3

I'm also curious to see exactly what the "Next backup size".

It's not impossible to have 3-4+ gb in messages (from pics and video) to not have enough space left for other things.