iCloud multiple accounts (family) Questions..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DennisC17, Oct 11, 2011.

1. DennisC17 macrumors newbie

Okay, I know I'm not alone here because I've found a few other threads with similar but slightly different questions.

My wife and I are currently using one AppleID/iTunes account for sharing of app purchases. From what I understand, we can continue to do this no problem.

Also, from what I understand, Facetime and iMessage have seperate settings panels and we won't need to worry about getting each other's messages.

But here's what I want to do, and I'm curious if it'll be possible (and how):

1. Share photos via iCloud together and with our computer. If I take a photo, she will see it in her stream. If she takes one, I will see it. Both of our photos will sync to iPhoto on the Mac.

2. We want to be able to share reminders, but not necessarily EVERY reminder. She doesn't need popups showing up on her phone every time I need to be reminded to do something at my job and vice-versa.

3. We want to be able to see each other's calendars. We can already do this because we're synced to different google calendar accounts that we share with each other. Can we continue to do this? Will we need to change how?

4. We don't want to share contacts or e-mail, but we'll continue to use google here as well if possible.

5. We will want to use separate Find my Phone and Find My Friends, so we can find each other!

6. As far as other apps that might sync through iCloud, I'm sure we'll want to sync some but not others with each other.

Additionally, we have an iPad. It is more important that it is synced with ALL of her stuff, than it is synced with any of my stuff. But again, we'd like to sync at a minimum all of our photos together and some of our reminders.

Is all of this possible? Will I need to create separate iCloud accounts for each of us?

Thanks!

2. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Dennis, check out http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1246345.

Basically you can have multiple iCloud accounts and enable/disable features in each. However some features can only be set to sync with one account, e.g. Find My iPhone, Photo Stream, Backups etc.

There are some additional restrictions in that some features are only avaliable on your primary account (the account you setup first - can be changed) so these features could not be split between multiple accounts. I think this includes Photo Stream and Find My iPhone.

3. DennisC17 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what you're telling me is that I need to set each phone up initially on the same account and then later add individual accounts to individual icloud services if one of the services i want to share is photostream?

Does anyone with experience first hand with icloud know?

4. cypressmac macrumors newbie

simpler scenario

I hope Apple provides additional options for configuring the iTunes and iCloud accounts across devices. In my case, up til now I have had 3 iPhones & 1 iPad in our family (me, wife, teenager) all using a shared iTunes account (mine) to download apps. I had installed Find My iPhone on all 4 devices, so that I could periodically check the location of these devices (ex. teen's phone when she is out at night, for safety reasons). This worked fine with the shared iTunes account.

I have upgraded all the devices to ios5 and set up iCloud accounts for myself, wife, and teen to each have our own contacts/calendar etc. synced to the cloud. I can still use the shared iTunes account for app downloads.

However, Find My iPhone seems to rely on the iCloud account, so I can no longer get a nice list of all our devices on my phone when I use the Find My iPhone app.

I think it's important to enable individual iCloud accounts but still have some way to group various devices for Find My iPhone. Any solutions?

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Yeah I was a little disappointed about that as well.

You could always log on via the web using her iCloud account information. Or utilize the find my friends app. Though, that can be disabled on their end.

6. cypressmac macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I'm doing with the Find My iPhone app on my iPhone. Basically, I have to log in and log out to separately track the various iOS devices that are tied to different iCloud accounts (though they all share iTunes account).

Thanks!