iCloud or no for back ups? Is it still buggy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Oct 21, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

And is it dependable. I wanna back up now, but don't want duplicates. How do I delete everything on cloud, and then put my phone stuff on there..and not combine them both

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

it's very good now. Not sure what you mean by duplicates. If you do a backup right now it will backup your phone exactly like it currently is. A previous backup has noting to do with a current one b.c when you restore you pick the exact date and time of the backup you want to restore from.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I love iCloud. I only sync via iTunes every few months or so.

4. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Does it always take several hours to backup over iCloud or is that just the first time? That's the only thing that keeps me from doing it..

5. Radiating macrumors 65816

It's just the first time, after that it takes 30 seconds to update the back up.

The OP has some absurd delusions though. iCloud backup works flawlessly in every way. I've loaded 6 iCloud backups in the last month (deffectives phones, switched from white to black) and haven't lost a shred of data and it was the easiest way to do it by far.

6. nitemare macrumors regular

what does iCloud back up? i dont want to lose my camera roll if i have to do a restore

7. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

If I back up will iCloud have previous back up contacts and my recent back up

8. Jades macrumors 6502

iCloud backup, if you dont have that much data, seems to do a better job than iTunes backup, last I checked. It will rearrange your icons and folders exactly how you last left it. Unlike iTunes backups and restore which will just scatter your icons wherever it wants to

Pictures do get backed up, but keep note of the 5 GB limit

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I started using it on day one and have had no problems.

10. nitemare macrumors regular

thanks but what if u use one log in for iTunes and a different one for iCloud

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not how an iTunes backup is supposed to work either.

iOS backups aren't always reliable!

12. FiremanMike macrumors regular

If I ever needed to restore off iCloud backup, it would take the same several hours as the initial backup, correct?

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Probably not.

It should be much faster to download from the backup than it is to upload to it.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

exactly what he said. I don't have a lot of data on my phone, so I can backup in about 5 minutes and restore in even less time.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I've used iCloud backup to restore my phone, my wife's iPhone & my iPad several times with no trouble at all.

The very first backup does take a little while, especially if you've got a lot of pictures or video in your camera roll. But only app data gets backed up; the apps themselves are not as they just get redownloaded if you restore. Subsequent daily backups just add what's changed since the last backup.

When you restore from an iCloud backup, it can take an hour or more because first your user data (app data, settings, camera roll, etc) is redownloaded, then all your apps are redownloaded, then all your music & movies. Depending on how much content you have, the music and movies will take the longest. And the more you have in your camera roll, the longer it will take.

Best to do this on wifi; doing it on 3G will take a long time and chew up a lot of battery juice and data. LTE would be faster, but still uses a big chunk of data.

I've done it several times since iCloud came out and it's worked like a charm every time. Does take a while to redownload EVERYTHING, but works nonetheless.

16. Jades macrumors 6502

That's not a big deal just restore using the login that you use for iCloud. It will work for a charm. I know few people who intentionally separate their iOS devices to get away with the free 5 GB and not have to pay more