iCloud or no for back ups? Is it still buggy?

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
And is it dependable. I wanna back up now, but don't want duplicates. How do I delete everything on cloud, and then put my phone stuff on there..and not combine them both

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
it's very good now. Not sure what you mean by duplicates. If you do a backup right now it will backup your phone exactly like it currently is. A previous backup has noting to do with a current one b.c when you restore you pick the exact date and time of the backup you want to restore from.

Comment

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Does it always take several hours to backup over iCloud or is that just the first time? That's the only thing that keeps me from doing it..

Comment

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Does it always take several hours to backup over iCloud or is that just the first time? That's the only thing that keeps me from doing it..
It's just the first time, after that it takes 30 seconds to update the back up.

The OP has some absurd delusions though. iCloud backup works flawlessly in every way. I've loaded 6 iCloud backups in the last month (deffectives phones, switched from white to black) and haven't lost a shred of data and it was the easiest way to do it by far.

Comment

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
what does iCloud back up? i dont want to lose my camera roll if i have to do a restore

Comment

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
If I back up will iCloud have previous back up contacts and my recent back up

Comment

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
iCloud backup, if you dont have that much data, seems to do a better job than iTunes backup, last I checked. It will rearrange your icons and folders exactly how you last left it. Unlike iTunes backups and restore which will just scatter your icons wherever it wants to

Pictures do get backed up, but keep note of the 5 GB limit

Comment

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
iCloud backup, if you dont have that much data, seems to do a better job than iTunes backup, last I checked. It will rearrange your icons and folders exactly how you last left it. Unlike iTunes backups and restore which will just scatter your icons wherever it wants to

Pictures do get backed up, but keep note of the 5 GB limit
thanks but what if u use one log in for iTunes and a different one for iCloud

Comment

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
That's not how an iTunes backup is supposed to work either.

iOS backups aren't always reliable!

Comment

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
If I ever needed to restore off iCloud backup, it would take the same several hours as the initial backup, correct?

Comment

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I've used iCloud backup to restore my phone, my wife's iPhone & my iPad several times with no trouble at all.

The very first backup does take a little while, especially if you've got a lot of pictures or video in your camera roll. But only app data gets backed up; the apps themselves are not as they just get redownloaded if you restore. Subsequent daily backups just add what's changed since the last backup.

When you restore from an iCloud backup, it can take an hour or more because first your user data (app data, settings, camera roll, etc) is redownloaded, then all your apps are redownloaded, then all your music & movies. Depending on how much content you have, the music and movies will take the longest. And the more you have in your camera roll, the longer it will take.

Best to do this on wifi; doing it on 3G will take a long time and chew up a lot of battery juice and data. LTE would be faster, but still uses a big chunk of data.

I've done it several times since iCloud came out and it's worked like a charm every time. Does take a while to redownload EVERYTHING, but works nonetheless.

Comment

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
thanks but what if u use one log in for iTunes and a different one for iCloud
That's not a big deal just restore using the login that you use for iCloud. It will work for a charm. I know few people who intentionally separate their iOS devices to get away with the free 5 GB and not have to pay more

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.