iCloud Photo Library for 500GB+ worth of photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aragornii, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Aragornii macrumors 6502

I have a large library of photos and videos, over 500GB worth. I'd like to use iCloud photo library, but I don't need it for all of my photos going back 10 or more years.

Is it possible to have just a portion of your photos included in the photo library, like having it only include photos from the past year?

Or would I need to create multiple libraries and have the older libraries not be part of iCloud?

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

you would need to create separate libraries. One would be your main library that is the system and linked to iCloud and the other(s) could be a localized library

3. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

Yeah I'm in a similar situation I split my libraries into a few different ones with 1 designated as my system library

I took this opportunity to do some hard editing of photos removing duplicates etc and organise them then exported them into folders.
    Dropped these photos into iCloud drive as a folder under documents so if need be they can be accessed but they're not synced by the Photos app.

4. Aragornii thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you go about splitting a Photos library into multiple libraries while preserving all the attributes like original and modified versions of photos, etc?

5. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

6. ricosuave macrumors 6502

ricosuave

If you have Aperture, you can export an album as a new library.