iCloud Photo Library is *almost* a great solution for my family

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kepardue, Oct 28, 2014.

1. kepardue macrumors 6502

My wife and I take lots of pictures of our kids, and moms and dads are inclined to do. Up until recently, we just occasionally dumped the photo libraries of our phones into iPhoto. I was excited for iCloud Photo Library and the shared "Family" library that the Family feature brought. Unfortunately, this shared stream doesn't allow edits to be shared, and appears to reduce the quality of the picture once it's been added. It also adds some complexity since I have to save a picture back to my camera roll to be able to do anything with it.

Being the primary account holder, what we've been doing is every few weeks airdropping her pictures to my phone and adding them to my library. This seems to work okay (except for that period right after iOS 8.0 was released when editing a photo destroyed it's Exif data), but it still doesn't feel ideal.

Anyone else have any similar observations/solutions to the issue of having a common family photo shoebox?

2. Damolee macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's all a bit of a mess really.

Thought I was just being a bit thick and not "getting it", but you can't really judge until it behaves as it's meant to. Currently it's not maintaining photo quality properly and it seems hard to get to them.

We have an iPad Air in the house and I have an iPhone 6.

We are just using the Flickr app for now. 1TB storage and the apps work really well.

3. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

Editing a photo with extensions in iOS 8.1 still removes EXIF data from the edited image. It's a real pain.

4. Razeus macrumors 601

I'll be posting this here, Tweeting to @tim_cook, and Apple feedback with each iOS 8 update until this is fixed.

Destroying EXIF data is unacceptable.

iOS 8.1

[​IMG]

5. indefinitekarma macrumors member

I posted about this a few days ago and nobody even replied to my topic lol.

What app to view the exif data?

6. Razeus macrumors 601

Ya, I posted a thread while it was iOS 8.0 still and got no response.

I use Metapho app. It's only use is to view metadata.

7. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

Disappointing that the metadata loss is still an issue. Especially since this isn't even related to the "Beta" service of iCloud Photo Library and is in editing photos themselves. I'm hesitant to do anything with my pictures now until it's resolved.

Regarding the iCloud Library though, seems like Apple should explain what reduces quality and what doesn't. It's going to be a real issue if people think, "Oh, I can just dump all my pictures into the Family Shared Library and delete them from my photo album" and then discover that they're permanently stuck with crap quality.