iCloud Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMacBookPro, Oct 21, 2012.

1. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

I was a little curious on how icloud worked.. i understand u can back up photos and music but instead of the apps using up unwanted "Usage" on the phone can the "Usage" or 'data" be backed up to iCloud instead of the phone being the stored place? Granted the Backup and Storage needs to be turned on.

Since we can't delete "Documents and data" for each App will the iCloud work?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Your documents, photos and app data/settings are stored in your iCloud space. The apps themselves aren't stored since they're just redownloaded from the source (iTunes App Store) when you restore your phone from a previous backup.

So, your data gets copied to the phone, the app gets downloaded, and you're good to go.

3. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

so the backup and storage always needs to be turned "on" all the time when opening Apps etc in order for the data to go to iCloud right?

Do i need to retore the phone? I didn't understand your last sentence..

Thanks

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yes, for everything you want backed up, turn on that item in the iCloud settings. The phone will automatically back itself up when plugged in, locked and on wifi. For me, this would be each night when I plug my phone in at home.

You don't have to restore your phone. I was simply describing how it functions were you to need your backup (e.g., replace a broken device) and how only your personal data gets backed up, not stuff like the binaries for the apps themselves.

5. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Great.. thanks...

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Sure. Then go in to Settings-iCloud-Storage and Backup and make sure Backup to iCloud is turned On.

7. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

If you don't want to leave iCloud backup on, can you just choose to sync with iCloud when you are backing up on your computer? I generally backup to my Macbook, but I turn on the iCloud and backup to that too once in a while.

8. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have iCloud on Snow Leopard therefor another reason to upgrade to ML.. I tried to back up on iCloud but i need a Wifi connection so i'll be doing it at home.. I'm at work and don't trust there Wifi.

9. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

so i backed up my Documents and data, contacts to icloud... I really thought the Usage space would decrease with moving everything to icloud.... I checked my bank account and went on my car forums (Autoguide) and therefore increased Usage once again lowering my GB space.

I guess the only way to increase "space" is to delete the App and reinstall it.. not a big deal really i guess.. I have like 2 to 3 apps and can't imagine having 20 apps on the phone and loosing space daily..

That was a plus with Android i guess.. You could clear cache and free up unwanted space...

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not really sure what you mean. Just using an app daily does not necessarily increase its backup size. If you've got the free 5GB, that should be plenty for most people unless you have a very large camera roll on your phone. If you need more space, it can be purchased. I back up a near-full 64GB iPhone and 64GB iPad to my account and use around 25GB.

11. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess i thought the data u use would go to the icloud and be built up there instead of the phone itself...

12. iparalax macrumors newbie

A question related to iCloud. I set up a new iPhone last night so now I have two iPhones with diff numbers. However, when I tried to do a restore from an iCloud backup to the new iPhone, the server returned that it did not find a back up to restore from.