iCloud Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by That-Guy, May 27, 2012.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

oooooook so I have my iPhone 4S Jailbroken running iOS 5.0.1 but want to update to 5.1.1 and re-jailbreak.

At the same time I want to restore the iPhone to factory settings to wipe it.

My question is when I restore the most recent iCloud backup is there any way to choose what parts of the backup is restored? All I want to restore is my contacts, no settings or Apps.

Or is there another way to backup/restore just my contacts?

Thanks in Advance :)

2. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Once you hit restore, and then click on what backup (date) to restore from, there is no way that I am aware of to choose what part of a backup you can restore from. It will do a complete restore from a backup or a complete restore, then to a new phone. No other option.

3. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Thats a real shame, would be a great feature for iCloud to have selective restore.

Will see if I can find a third party app to backup/restore my contacts.

4. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

use google or windows contacts and imports/export the files

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This. I use Google for this very reason. Well, that, and the fact that it's literally compatible with every smartphone on the market, so there is no conversion that has to go on if I ever switch phones.

6. sahnert macrumors 6502

If all you want is your contacts, choose "set up as new phone" and then log in to your iCloud account during the setup process or from Settings.

Your contacts will sync with the contents of your iCloud account.

7. JMC08 macrumors regular

Didn't know that iCloud would auto copy contacts to your phone once you sign in...

Asked this in another thread, but I'm looking for a program to import my texts after restoring as new. Would like it to be cheaper than ibackupbot

8. Shadowbech macrumors 601

If you just want contacts to be restored, it is possible. All you need to do is restore your phone, set up as new, log into icloud, then go to settings > iCloud > Contacts ON. This is what I usually do and only my contacts are back into my phone. After it syncs then I turn off the icloud.