icloud storage full. Solution?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wmitch, Jun 7, 2012.

1. wmitch macrumors regular

Hey all,
    So i've had my new ipad since it came out and have turned on the function to back up my pics and videos to icloud.

So, it's full now and I know I can dump them directly on my macbook but I'm wondering if there is a way to use my 2tb time capsule in lieue of icloud to back up files since, obviously, 5gb doesn't last as long as I thought it would.

thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Buy more storage or consider using dropbox (excellent). I don't have a TC but I don't think I can use even my NAS the way I would use iCloud or DB.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Wow, I have 4 devices that back upto the same iCloud account and I still have over 3GB free!

I'd say, if you can, don't back up photo's and videos. Thats what I've done.

Photostream automatically backs up all your photo's to your Macbook, and just remember to sync your video's every now and then.

Or, you can always backup to your Macbook instead

4. wmitch thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running Snow Leopard so I don't think I can use photostream on my macbook. Is that correct?

There is an option in my iTunes to Switch backup from icloud to my mac. would that be a good option? I have plenty of free space on my HD and my macbook backs up to my TC.

5. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I sync up with Google so they cover my Mail (gmail) and Contacts and Calendar backups. Would that help you?

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

Mine filled up a a while back so I got selective with what I backed up to the cloud. For example, my research library is copied on to my work computer, and my emails are all available via browser based mail, so I didn't seem to lose out by removing them from iCloud.

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yeah, backing upto a Mac is great way to do it if your thinking about your photo's and video.

I believe you are correct, you need to be on Lion to get all the iCloud stuff.

On a side note, Lion is well worth the £20 it costs to upgrade :)

8. mrholder macrumors regular

Sorry, this is off topic, but I'd like to get Lion for photostreaming too. Are there any Designers in the room that know if Lion will play well with Creative Suite 3? I'm on a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

9. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

You are 100% correct, you need Lion for photostream and the rest of the iCloud stuff.

I use iCloud for everything except photos, which I back up to my MBP. No sense in using up all my space on a bunch of photos that are stored in too large a format anyway.

:eek: Lazy side question; anyone know the rates for additional storage on iCloud?

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

They mention having a MacBook though. If it's like mine (early 2006 model), they cannot be upgraded to Lion.

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yes, but if it's 2008 onwards (quite likely) then they can.

12. wmitch thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I am hoping to get a new machine soon. mine is an 07 C2D that really needs to retire once I save the free cash for a 2012 model. I haven't upgraded b/c from what I've heard, SL runs a little quicker on older machines.

So, Maybe I'm just not figuring it out but is there any way to back the photos and videos up to the mac wirelessly and use icloud for everything else?

13. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I might be wrong, but Photostream DOES NOT count over your 5 GB quota, that's why it has a limit of N photos (don't know how it would apply to videos).

My advice is, unless you need them (a long time away from a computer or going on trips all the time and not having a laptop with your iTunes library), get rid of iCloud backups.
    Just use iCloud for app data and settings and the rest.
    The backups can take quite a LOT.
    Or use the iCloud backup feature (I prefer iTunes backup wirelessly, and it's automatic too as long as your iDevice is connected to current, so for me that happens every night mostly) BUT untick or unset or uncheck some apps with big documents so that they are NOT included in the backup (e.g apps with video you have to sync via iTunes or the camera roll).

I can think of many dirty alternatives, but if you want something painless, try something like this.