iCloud streaming data usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greatorex, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Greatorex macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Apologies if this has been posted previously (I did check but couldn't find anything), if it has please just link me to that thread.

I have just signed up to iTunes Match so that my digital music library is backed up but mainly so that I can stream my music to my phone while travelling. Does anyone know if this has a heavy usage effect on monthly data charges? What, for example would be the data used to stream a whole album (let's say 12 songs/35 mins), anyone know?

Thanks!

2. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I imagine this would be comparable, if not more, than a streaming app like Pandora.

Remember, iTunes Match streams all songs to the 256kbps AAC format.

Now, if you're near Wifi you can get around this by downloading a few albums you want so they're basically available offline.

People have mentioned that with moderate use, their data usage has increased from around 50MB per day to more than 300 MB per day.

Despite all of this, I still like iTunes match. It's a steal at $25 for the YEAR. Just be smart and if you don't have an unlimited data plan, consider downloading a few albums before you leave a wifi spot.

If you happen to be on Sprint, like me, forget it. There are several blogs out there and Mac websites that describe constant problems with data speeds and bad connections across the country.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Open file explorer, select an album, and right click properties and see how big it is. That will tell you.

4. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

No, it will not.

Everything no matter if you put up 128kbit music on iTunes match they will be 256kbit version of them, just making an example here so you know why i say no to your post is that if he would go on your advice and he has an album that is ripped at 128kbit then checking the size it would be half of what the actual size would be to stream it. Say it's 100MB at 128kbit for the whole album, it would be 200MB instead at 256kbit.

Anyhow, iTunes Match will stream at 1.875MB per minute (that's megabyte, not megabits), so if a song is 4minutes it will be 4* 1.875MB = 7.5MB for that time.

Therefor 35minutes would equal about 66MB.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

True, sorry. I already 'upgraded/downgraded' most of my albums that weren't already from iTunes.

6. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

No problem :)

7. Greatorex thread starter macrumors newbie