Icon layout after "Set Up As New" for 176 apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tr0ubles0me, Dec 28, 2011.

1. tr0ubles0me macrumors newbie

I have 176 apps carefully organized into folders and occupying 3 of the available 10 screens. All of them are synced to iTunes. I want to restore iOS 5.0.1 and SET UP my iPhone 4 AS NEW.

How are these apps going to be organized on the fresh new iOS 5.0.1 after I sync my Iphone for the first time, as iOS only allows 10 screens for icons (160 icons) + 1 Home Screen?

Every answer is appreciated. Thanks.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm honestly not sure how it'll be organized but if you don't know this already, you can organize them on iTunes instead of on your iPhone. It's easier moving them and putting them into folders and giving those folders names all on your computer.

If it doesn't let you sync all 176 the first time then just let it sync as many apps as possible then put some in a folder and sync the rest after that.

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

It just dumps them all on your phone, so yes you will have pages of apps that you will need to re-organize.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

The thing is, he's saying he wants to sync 176 apps while the iPhone can only have 160 icons not in folders. So will this mean it'll automatically put some apps in folders? Or only sync 160 apps?

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

is it 10 screens + a home screen? because that would give you the ability to have 180 apps (including stock)

If it's just 10 screens total though, then yes, it will probably just sync 160 (or whatever #) apps, then you could throw a few into folders, and resync to get the rest.

Or you could just throw some in folders in itunes before you sync.

Not exactly sure, I have around 125 apps, so never hit the limit, I just know it has never kept my folder layouts across updates, I always have to reorganize.

6. tr0ubles0me thread starter macrumors newbie

Theoretically you're right, but the stock apps are never synced to iTunes. So I should clarify myself: I have 176 non-stock apps.

And how do I exactly manually transfer half of them, organize them and then transfer the other half, as they start transfering automatically just as I click Done at the "Set Up As New Screen"?

Thanks for all the answers.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

I used to have a phone with more apps than available screen space, but it was before folders. When I would download new apps they just wouldn't be available on any screen. I could still search for it by the app name. I'm sure now it would do something similar, and you would be able to start putting apps in folders to make the extra ones visible.

8. DefBref macrumors 6502

Your answer is already in this post, connect your iphone to itunes and organise them as you want in the itunes window, then hit the sync button. You don't have to actually sync them onto the device to do this organisation while on itunes.

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

troublesome - you need to set your iPhone to NOT auto sync, set it to manually manage apps. Then you can start dragging the apps over to the device. You can also just click on your phone in the list on the left of iTunes, then select apps, and set up the pages how you want them (folders and everything) then hit the sync button and it will transfer your apps and put them in folders for you.

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

You should just try it and let us know. I would hope it would be smart enough to start grouping the apps by category in folders...

11. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

I don't think apple still has the limit of 10 pages. Can anyone please confirm.

Also I had once art up as new some time back and I had around 180+ apps.. But I can't exactly remember how many pages were there before I made folders out of them.