Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
When I put folders in my sidebar (Finder) their icons no longer appear - instead I just get a folder. Older folders (have been there for a while) don't have this problem. But if I change their icon, nothing changes; if I remove then add they get a blank folder.

Repairing permission does nothing. Can anyone figure this out?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
titaniumducky said:
When I put folders in my sidebar (Finder) their icons no longer appear - instead I just get a folder. Older folders (have been there for a while) don't have this problem. But if I change their icon, nothing changes; if I remove then add they get a blank folder.

Repairing permission does nothing. Can anyone figure this out?

Maybe your classic desktop file is corrupted? Try rebuilding it by going into system preferences, clicking classic, waiting for it to detect system folders (if you get a message about Mac OS 9 not being installed, just dismiss it), clicking the 2nd tab (sorry, I don't remember its name; I'm using Windows to post this), clicking the Rebuild Desktop button, clicking Select All to choose all drives, and finally clicking rebuild. You will need to log out and back in once rebuilding is finished for the change to take effect.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
wrldwzrd89 said:
Maybe your classic desktop file is corrupted? Try rebuilding it by going into system preferences, clicking classic, waiting for it to detect system folders (if you get a message about Mac OS 9 not being installed, just dismiss it), clicking the 2nd tab (sorry, I don't remember its name; I'm using Windows to post this), clicking the Rebuild Desktop button, clicking Select All to choose all drives, and finally clicking rebuild. You will need to log out and back in once rebuilding is finished for the change to take effect.

That was it! Thanks a bunch!!! You're instructions were pretty easy to understand - don't worry about that.

My question, however, is what role does Classic play in this?

EDIT:
Well, it seems to have broken again practically immediately: I guess I'll just have to live with it...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
titaniumducky said:
That was it! Thanks a bunch!!! You're instructions were pretty easy to understand - don't worry about that.

My question, however, is what role does Classic play in this?

EDIT:
Well, it seems to have broken again practically immediately: I guess I'll just have to live with it...

The Classic desktop file, regardless of whether the Classic environment is installed, maintains the icons of all the files in the system, including that network icon in the Finder's sidebar. If something screwy happens to that file, all sorts of things can happen, including icons becoming scrambled, wrong, or completely disappearing. Rebuilding the file and logging out then back in USUALLY fixes these issues; sometimes, like you experienced, they recur quickly. I've had this happen; I don't know what causes it either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.