icons in launchpad always shift around?

tootall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I have App Icons and Folders in alphabetical order (just the way I like it) in launchpad and then the following day, they all are out of order, almost random.

I know I am being anal, but I hate wasting time looking for things... how come they always shift around? It reminds me of when I used to sync my dock with MobileMe :mad:

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I still don't know what causes this, it's probably just another bug in Lion. Things like this remind me of how much I dislike Lion but I already spent my money on it. Anyway, the only solution I've found is to delete all the apps from Luanchpad via a Terminal command:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db "DELETE from apps; DELETE from groups WHERE title<>''; DELETE from items WHERE rowid>2;"; Killall Dock

After you've done this, you'll have to manually add your applications by dropping them on the Launchpad icon on the dock. This is not a permanent solution, the bug will eventually appear again.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I still don't know what causes this, it's probably just another bug in Lion.
It is. I certainly hope this is going to be fixed in 10.7.3 . The only reason I use Launchpad at all, is because I can (or at least should be able to) expect icons to be at a certain position, making it very fast if you already know where you'll have to click.

tootall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
It is. I certainly hope this is going to be fixed in 10.7.3 . The only reason I use Launchpad at all, is because I can (or at least should be able to) expect icons to be at a certain position, making it very fast if you already know where you'll have to click.
Ditto! If I have to search for the icon, might as well go to the application folder

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
How the hell did Apple not manage to fix this for 10.7.3. Incredible... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.