I'd buy an iPad Pro tomorrow if…

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pagemakers, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I'd buy an iPad Pro tomorrow if it ran OS X. In its current incarnation I just don't get it. It's simply a big iPad.

I know we are probably not likely to see an iOS/OS X tablet from Apple any time soon but even if it just ran OS X I'd buy it.

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Designed for a lot of people who want simply a big iPad. I wouldn't buy an iPad Pro if it ran OS X, but I'm getting an iPad Pro with iOS. And I'm a huge fan of OS X.

This has been discussed ad nauseam, OS X is simply not a good choice for touch screens, the hit areas are too small and it's designed for mice and trackpads. It is designed for a different type of computer, and if they tried to merge it (like Microsoft tried and, honestly, failed) it would compromise too much for both types of devices.

On the other hand, the iPad Pro and a powerful software like Procreate is an amazing productivity device when you want to use it as a pad with a pencil.

3. masnax, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

masnax macrumors newbie

You'd buy it, use it for about a week before deciding it's super cumbersome and unergonomic and it would gather dust on your shelf as you stick to your regular desktop/notebook and iPad Air.

If I'm wrong, please do explain one thing that you can do on OSX in its current state that would be enhanced in tablet form by such a degree that it warrants a total redesign of the concept behind an iPad Pro?

iOS will never evolve if people shoot down every time it tries to reach for the next rung on the ladder. Microsoft already tried revamping the OS first without app support being a priority and it failed. Apple's doing the exact opposite. They're providing powerful hardware and leaving the rest up to app developers. Do you really doubt that if app developers start developing more professional apps, that Apple won't accommodate them by making iOS more capable in the future?

EDIT: I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about the iPad Pro, it's definitely not for everyone and it's 100% in its early stages. Moreso I'm trying to say that in my opinion, an OSX tablet at this point in time, while a good idea in theory, would not provide as good of an experience as iOS would a few years down the line if people just gave it the chance to grow up.

4. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

For me I just wish we could plug say a camera into it so we can view the pictures etc. Maybe a basic file system if such a thing exists

5. sjleworthy, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

horses for courses.

yup, it's basically a huge ipad running ios. if you can get your head around that you'll be fine. personally, if i want an OSX tablet i'd buy a real laptop. but i like the ios/tablet combi as it is :)

dont they sell camera plug in kits?

6. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

I know they used to but thought with lightning that all stopped?

I'm secretly hoping with usb 3 controller being present perhaps they'll release a USB 3 adapter so we could plug a hard drive into it or the likes of a camera etc. That'd probably stop a lot of the negative comments

7. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

It cracks me up that even forum members are using thread titles as click bait. Geez!

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't want an OS X iPad. It would be a huge disadvantage in enterprise which is setup for iOS and not OS X.

9. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

Do you understand WHY you're not going to see this device? Because the user experience would absolutely suck and the device would fail miserably.

You don't even know what you want, or what you think you need. You think you'd want to hunt and peck around macOS for what? You don't get it, and neither do others like you. iOS on iPad is the incarnation of macOS that makes the most sense for the 1) touch display and the 2) hardware it runs on. End of story. People like you that ignore all logic and just say "Posh! Make it work somehow!" should be banned from the internet. I'm shocked that making threads in 2015 about macOS on iPad is not an automatic ban.

10. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Pretty sure he said he wants an iPad Pro running OS X.

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The ability to run full, native Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign and have the ability to draw directly on the screen was why I picked up a Surface Pro 4 at launch. I'd much rather have a Mac to do that with, but Apple doesn't make one.

But then again, I probably have no idea what I even want.

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

The iPad Pro did not replace my Macbook Pro, but I can use it to do almost everything I use my Macbook or iMac for. For some of these tasks, the iPad Pro actually does it better, because of the pen and/or portability:

(for work)
    - reading journal article in pdf, and annotation them with inking (and share the files with annotation with all Mac and Win users), the big screen also mean viewing the article at full page without needing to zoom in
    - taking notes and/or lecturing with inking over Microsoft Office, especially for scientific/mathematical equations
    - note taking in seminar using the pencil, especially when you arrived late and was standing at the back of the room
    - light editing of photos, such as outlining the focus and blurring the background, enhancing the color
    - in round-table discussion, sharing content simply by laying down the big iPad screen on the table
    - did I mention inking in Microsoft Office suite is enabled for the first time in the entire Mac OS/iOS platform?

(for fun)
    - huge selection of iOS games
    - catching up with e-magazines, or news using Flipboard or similar news apps
    - watching movies, especially in situation like: sharing with two or three people sitting close to you, not having to be interrupted when your plane is landing because the laptops have to be stowed away

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'd buy an iPad Pro tomorrow if....there was a 128GB Space Grey model in stock at either of my local Apple stores. ;)

Seriously though, I'm an early adopter of most things Apple but I'm a bit dissappointed with the launches of the last two products (Apple TV and iPad Pro), two items I had planned on picking up. The Apple TV is a half baked experience (won't sidetrack this thread) and the iPad Pro is barely in stock anywhere and the accessory availability is laughable. The Pencil is probably the cornerstone feature of this device and it's wait time more than twice that of the only product that it can be used with---that's some horrible planning on Apple's part.

I almost certainly will eventually pick up an iPP but I think I may wait for gen 2---allow the Pro ecosystem to develop a bit more and see if they're going to include 3D Touch in the next model.

14. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

Threads like these are beyond retarded. I'd be buying a Ferrari right now if..... They cost 20k. I'd be banging a hot blonde if..... I wasn't married already. I'd be eating steak tonight if....... I was hungry.

If you want to change things, go to college, go work at Apple, and fix what you think they should do. They're s multi BILLION dollar company. They might know better than any of us do. And even if they don't and this thing is a failure, which lets be honest, casual users are crying about it not running OS X but graphics professionals are already pumped for it, who cares. They still have money thst they can just be like ya know what. Let's try something else. In a matter of fact, at the next keynote Tim Cook should just say "ya know what, we've had a great year. We're not releasing anything. Taking the year off." (Mic drop) and they'd still make money.

15. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

If you want OS X, use a Screen Sharing app to remote into a Mac. TeamViewer lets you connect to a Windows machine and use multi touch input or mouse input.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

No you probably wouldn't. You might think you would considering the idea in a vacuum, but once you realize the practical realities, it is much less appealing.

First of all, it would be running an Intel processor, likely a Core M, so iOS apps would be running in emulation, and both iOS and OS X apps would be slower than on everything except the base MacBook. Second, OS X as written with a simple touch layer bolted on would be a terrible user experience. Apple would need to re-write OS X completely, and that would be no small task. The first versions would probably feel like Windows 8 did compared to Windows 7. Even if Apple got it right, there is still the issue of all the legacy software.

17. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

I don't understand all this talk about an OSX iPad. I can maybe understand some advantages but in my opinion it would be a step backward. The thing I hate about the Surface personally is that it is still hung up on trying to be a desktop like the first tablets. Computing is changing people and one day I believe that iOS and OSX will merge into some new incarnation and there will be no distinction, but maybe I'm crazy.

18. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Apple will resist giving you one device that does it all when it's more profitable to sell you both a Macbook and iPad companion.

19. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

That's what I need!! I need Illustrator on an iPad. I'm not an artist--I can't pick up a stylus and craft an elaborate scene. But I love working with shapes/vectors with my mouse pointer to make designs. I'd like to think that Adobe will eventually port their desktop apps to iPad, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

20. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I would/will buy an iPad Pro if/when it comes in the Mini form. :cool:

21. Sissyboy macrumors regular

Sissyboy

Yada Yada Yada.

How many times must we read the same thing.

Don't buy it.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What if you don't need one or the other? I don't own a Mac.

23. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Yes, the iPad Pro is not 'Pro' enough for you true professional media editing professionals. But guess what, Apple cater to the masses, and so their targeted 'Pro' is not you.

By the way, despite what Tim Cook said, they really don't want the customers to replaces their Macs with iPad Pro. They want you to buy BOTH.

24. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I often use my Mac via the ignition app on my iPad Air 2. Using OS X via an iPad touchscreen is absolutely no problem at all.

I played with the iPad Pro in the Apple Store this morning. 90% of the time I was holding the pencil thinking what shall I click or do with this? Then I opened notes and had a little squiggle for a minute or two. Great - what next?

Within a few minutes of using the device it felt like “been there, done that”.

While there probably is a market for the iPad pro running iOS. There is equally a valid argument for a similar device to run OS X.

25. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Hoe about An iPad running iOS but with a limited file system and a USB port to plug I a hard drive etc?

That seems best of both worlds however I have no clue about programming so perhaps it's not possible?

I never thought about controlling a Mac with my iPad, can you do it over the mobile network also?