I'd gladly pay double for my iPad if it was made in the USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by silroc, May 23, 2011.

1. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

I am one in a million, but I would do it.....

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have an iPad for sale. I made it myself. PM me.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

What's your reasoning? Also America doesn't have workers willing to work as hard and as long as those in China or only a very small proportion willing to.

4. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

Really is that true? Or are Americans just not willing to die for a company?

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I wouldn't pay double but maby an extra 50-100$, I only buy an iPad once anyway like my iPhones I just sell it and then pay the difference witch is never significant if there is one.

6. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

That's what I'm saying Americans won't want to work in the factory conditions at foxconn. And your trolling so bye.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Speak for yourself. No one is going to pay 1k for an iPad.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Well since Apple is expected to sell approx. 28 million iPads in 2011, I'm not sure the 28 of you are going to make a convincing argument for Apple moving production to U.S.

10. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I wouldn't, I think they should take a dip in profits for once and the stock market should reward them for it

11. ani23 macrumors 6502

The US is not particularly famous for electronics.

I don't mind paying extra for luxury shirts from Brooks brothers made in USA but electronics. Pass.

12. macDelirium macrumors member

Would an iDevice be built better if it was built in the USA? Not convinced.

13. Shorties macrumors 6502a

The main research and development, and software is made in America, and that is most of the costs that go into making an iPad and iPad. Many of the parts are made in automated factories in Asia, thus the device itself is assembled in China. Which is just the last step in the production of an iPad. So I have to ask what part makes you want it built in America? You want it to be in America to provide jobs for Americans? It's just unreasonable to ship all those parts from all over Asia and then assemble it all here. Plus it might be cheaper due to labor laws to actually assemble it all robotically in America so that doesn't do anything but take jobs away from migrant workers in China. If it's because you are worried about how Foxcon's working conditions are then thats the only reasonable reason I can see being built in America advantageous. I seem to remember, but I'm not sure, reading an article about how they doubled their employee's salaries a year or two ago, but I'm not exactly sure on that. I hope they pay their employee's reasonably compared to the amount of work they do, but most likely they don't. They do provide for them housing and food, but usually they have punishment systems in those factories that dock pay for breaking small rules (imagine if you were docked an entire weeks pay for being caught talking to another worker on the job). More importantly I would like to be guaranteed that it was made in a factory that treated their employee's humanely more then anything else. I just watched the documentary "Mardi Gras: Made In China" today, I highly suggest checking it out, (One of the most interesting moments was when the documentarians showed the Chinese factory workers who slave away making mardi gras beads sometimes 14 hours a day, how they are used in America) but essentially it ends with a message from the Chinese workers as 'we don't want you to stop buying this product from china, we just want to be treated a little more reasonably'.

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I wouldn't. I like my money, thanks. Not about to spend ~$1500 on an iPad, particularly when there's no assurance that a US-made iPad would be any better. In fact, if the automobile industry is any indication ...

15. Kupp macrumors regular

I want an iPad that when I try to stop an application it will randomly accelerate of it's own volition until stopped by a wall. Doesn't Toyota have plants in the U.S.?

16. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

I'd definitely be willing to pay a premium if the iPad was made in the US

17. Firestrife macrumors member

Firestrife

Does it really matter, one part or another would be built somewhere else. If you would like it "assembled" here then that'd be another thing.

18. padapada macrumors regular

Now apply that line of reasoning to every single penny you spend on products produced outside the US...

19. viewliners macrumors member

I'm not willing to pay extra for "Made in USA" iPads, just for the sake of buying American-made products.

However, I'd be happy to pay extra for "Made in USA" iPad if it has higher build quality than Chinese-made iPads...

When will they come up with machines that can build iPads or similar devices without human intervention? At that time, they can build factories in the US so the machines can build iPads... no labor cost.... (until Skynet takes over :D )

20. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I don't know why everybody assumes products made in the USA are better... Guy in China works his tail off and makes sure to do everything right so he keeps his job and can feed his family. Guy in the US is protected by a Union so he can just do minimal work for tons more money so he can buy a nice car... I have tons of crappy stuff made in the US. I don't exactly agree with some of the working conditions and stuff in China, and I hope things get better, but having the iPad in the US would make zero difference.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Over four thousand do so every year. And there are over six hundred dying from "fall from elevated height". Makes you wonder how many murders and suicides are covered up by calling it "fall from elevated height" and not "pushed" or "jumped".

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I don't know about double, but I would feel less guilt about my apple products knowing they do not come out of foxconn.

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wouldn't pay any extra, it would still be foreign made to me. ;)

24. Zcott macrumors 68020

The rest of the world doesn't want to pay any extra because it was made in the US. In Ireland, how would that benefit me?