Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Hi,
I purchased a 30gig iPOD Video in a Pawn Shop. It has quite a number of songs and videos on it that I would like to eliminate. Is this possible?
I have itunes 6.0 installed on my computer, but couldn't find any means to do that. There are some songs on there that appear to be "purchased" and can't be played on the computer, just on the ipod. That's fine, but there are many songs that I just don't care for.
Is it possible for me to keep some of them and add some of my own, or do I have to reset or restore and thereby lose everything that is already on the ipod?
Thanks.
I'm new here, and assume that a reply will result in an email to me to prompt me to visit this forum.
If not, would you please email your reply to me at votros at comcast dot net? Thanks again.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
plug the iPod into the computer.. you library will write over it, getting rid of any songs and videos you don't want.

and you didn't buy the songs.. you shouldn't steal them off the iPod. If you like them so much, go to the iTMS and buy them.
Those iPod ripping apps are good to back up your ipod in the event of a computer HD meltdown, not good for stealing songs off your friend's iPod.

skaler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Wow, That was fast!

Thanks for the replies. Is ipodrip a third party software that I can get on CNET or the like?

skaler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Deleting songs from MY Ipod

Katie kachoo-I don't see that playing songs that came with the ipod is stealing any more that you using OS X or windows XP that came with your computer. The cost of the songs figured into the purchase price, though admittedly not a lot since 99% of them are junk to me.
It is not my friend's ipod, it's mine. All I want to do is free up some space so that I can install some of my tunes. You never bought a second hand CD?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
skaler said:
Katie kachoo-I don't see that playing songs that came with the ipod is stealing any more that you using OS X or windows XP that came with your computer. The cost of the songs figured into the purchase price, though admittedly not a lot since 99% of them are junk to me.
It is not my friend's ipod, it's mine. All I want to do is free up some space so that I can install some of my tunes. You never bought a second hand CD?

so i assume your friend deleted the songs and did not keep any copies when you bought the ipod from them?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
jelloshotsrule said:
so i assume your friend deleted the songs and did not keep any copies when you bought the ipod from them?

What "friend"? Skaler bought the iPod in a pawn shop and was replying to katie who clearly did not read the original post. Neither, it seems, did you.

I cannot see any reason why skaler should not assume that the songs belong to him since they can only be played on that particular iPod. If the previous owner has kept burnt copies of the songs - he or she should either have discarded them or wiped the songs off the iPod before pawning it. Skaler should have no reason not assume ownership as he paid fair price for it as set by the pawnshop, who is probably responsible for checking that the previous owner was handing over ownership.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
weckart said:
What "friend"? Skaler bought the iPod in a pawn shop and was replying to katie who clearly did not read the original post. Neither, it seems, did you.

I cannot see any reason why skaler should not assume that the songs belong to him since they can only be played on that particular iPod. If the previous owner has kept burnt copies of the songs - he or she should either have discarded them or wiped the songs off the iPod before pawning it. Skaler should have no reason not assume ownership as he paid fair price for it as set by the pawnshop, who is probably responsible for checking that the previous owner was handing over ownership.

When he bought the iPod, he didn't buy the right to own copies of the song; he bought the physical player, not the songs on it. The pawn shop does not have the authority to transfer the license to him.

skaler said:

When you bought the computer, you also bought a license to legally use the OS that came on it.
And when buying a second-hand CD, it's different. The CD is the only copy of the music the owner has. When he sells it, he is selling the only copy, not keeping one for himself. iPod is different: There's a copy of the music still in the iTunes library that the iPod is synced to.

and again, the Pawn Shop does not have the legal right to transfer the ownership of the song to the new buyer. They are not apple computer. They do not own iTunes and all the legal matters regarding song ownership.

Let's take the matter of my iBook that I got from a Pawn Shop. Since I got the computer and the install CDs, I bought the only copy of the OS the guy who sold it to the pawn shop had. the ONE copy of the OS went with the computer. when I bought the computer, the license was transferred to me. One OS, one computer.
iTunes is different: the song resides on his computer. You're making it sound like the iPod bought the song. :confused: The song can be played on any iPod, it's just tied to the library of the man who sold the iPod.

I can't imagine someone willingly selling their iPod with all the data intact. Are there still contacts on it? Pictures? Calendar entries? you may have a stolen iPod on your hands... Pawn shops are notorious for that: a burglar steals something, wants quick cash, sells the iPod to a pawn shop, then the pawn shop sells it to someone else.

I know that this probably won't stop you from finding an iPod ripping program. In a few hours, you may just be sitting around merrily updating your iPod, after you ripped the songs illegally. Just remember: they aren't your songs.
It's the same as stealing. You didn't pay the 99¢ to buy it. It's the same as going into a record store and stealing a few discs. The artists isn't getting paid. Although it's only a few cents, as it becomes more widespread, the artists won't have enough money, and music-making will only go to the richest... Paris Hilton has 0 talent, yet she has more money than Jeebus, so she can release an album. OTOH, an incredibly talented band may not have enough money to pay the rent, let alone release an album because they aren't getting paid.. no one's buying their stuff because "oh! I can rip it from my friend!"

Piracy is frowned upon at MacRumors. Asking for help doing piracy (IE ripping songs off an iPod, when you don't own the songs) is against the rules.
You wont' find much sympathy here, too. Many people here live on the money they make from selling art, wether it be music, video, graphic, web design. Piracy affects them directly.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I have to say, taking music off an iPod is very much like P2P downloading, which is perfectly legal in Canada.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Mammoth said:
I have to say, taking music off an iPod is very much like P2P downloading, which is perfectly legal in Canada.

P2P downloading is legal, P2P downloading of copyright material is most definitely illegal even if you pay for the "Pro" version of the software.

In this case it is illegal to keep any of the songs on the iPod, as Katie has said, the pawn shop did not buy the rights to the music and cannot transfer it over. The iPod should be restored using the iPod updater back to its original factory settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.