I'd like to have an argument, please.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bear with me.

There's this kid in my neighborhood. Let's call him Barry. He likes to argue. For no damn reason. He argues (as Monty Python might put it) in his spare time.

Tell Barry it's 8:00, and he'll look right at the big hand on the 12 and the little hand on the 8 and say, "No it isn't." Watch moisture falling from the sky and observe that it's raining and Barry will say, "No it isn't." It's one of several reasons he's failing first grade. He just likes taking up a contradictory position for no damn reason...except to take pleasure in frustrating other people.

I thought of Barry when I read about this:

As ineffective and bought as I think the Democrats are, I hardly think it's irresponsible of them to demand that relief from the AMT be paid for by raising taxes in other areas.

But Bush -- like the psychologically disturbed kid down the street -- just loves to fight the Democrats on everything. Everything.

And then he has the nerve to call it political posturing by the other side.

Compromise is not in his vocabulary. He and the Republicans could compromise on bringing the troops home, but they have to pretend they have no alternative but to lay off civilians. (As if slowing down the war operations isn't another alternative.)

Can we take another year of their "my way or the highway" approach? I am so sick of this little son of a bitch.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Mr. Fiscal Responsibility there. Must believe the national debt can be infinite.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I love how last week, he said the Dems were like a teen with a credit card, when it's him whose spent 800 billion on the war and is asking for more. He's the one with the credit card

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, it's SO fiscally irresponsible to propose actually paying for the things you promise, isn't it?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Your little friend Barry sounds like a few other people we know around here. ;)

But yeah- it's time for the Democrats to stand their ground and not budge on this. They need to make Bush act like a president and not a dictator.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Bush has been mysteriously bailed out of every financial crisis he's inflicted on every business he's run. His entire life. He's probably sat expecting a magic cheque to arrive and just pay off the national debt.

So why not run it up? Someone else will pay those bills.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You just now realized the adversarial nature of Federal government?:rolleyes: I bet if a Dem were president and vetoed everything coming out of the House, you wouldn't have phrased it quite the same way.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I bet we would. That's the difference between people who think and neocons. We try to hold everyone to the same standards- even our guys. Re-read the Obama thread if you want proof.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If a "Dem" was doing it out of petulance, you can bet I'd be just as irritated.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Have you ever noticed when government, any government, starts getting the purse strings pulled, the first thing they threaten (or actually do), is start attacking things that will hurt the people most?

In this example, Bush threatens jobs. Well, he could just delay some purchases for a couple months. Instead, he tells the defense workers he may put them on the street before the holidays, making a more joyous time for all.

I see this BS tactic used all of the time. Reduce someone's budget and they start closing parks, social programs, school sports, whatever is popular and can be used as an extortion tool. But, all of the wasteful operational overhead remains intact. I really get upset when my government uses the " ... no desert for you tonight ... " approach to enforce obedience.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Barry Bush --I know him. The Republicans have few political options these days but obstruction. They are trying to deny the Democrats any legislative victories. Ironically, I don't think it's got very much to do with a specific topic. They're falling on the ball.

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

No he doesn't.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Is the nature of the Federal government adversarial? I've always heard it was about compromise.

Of course, we've seen the endgame of an adversarial relationship in the United States between two competing ideologies.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes he does.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Re-read what I said about Barry. The kid doesn't pick a fight because he has a reason. He picks a fight because he can.

Bringing your country to a grinding halt for your own personal amusement is not a function of government.

:p

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If you're looking for arguments go visit macosx in the PS3 vs. XBOX360 thread. He trumps the kid down the street.

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx