Idaho gay marriage ban struck down

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted yet but it's happening so quickly and frequently I suppose it has become somewhat blasé.

reuters

(Reuters) - A U.S. federal judge struck down Idaho's ban on gay marriage on Tuesday, saying it relegated same-sex couples to a second-class status in violation of constitutional guarantees of equal protection under the law.

The ruling by U.S. Magistrate Judge Candy Dale was the latest in a string of decisions by federal judges against state bans on same-sex matrimony that, if upheld by higher courts, would sharply broaden access to marriage for U.S. gay couples.

Dale said her decision would go into effect on Friday at 9 a.m. local time, unless put on hold by a higher court.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It was mentioned in the Arkansas thread but it deserves its own, if for no other reason that to piss off the bigots.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I suspect Antonin will be in the (fading) minority when SCOTUS finally settles this question – c. 2019.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I suspect Antonin will be in the (fading) minority when SCOTUS finally settles this question – c. 2019.
If he makes it that long...

LeeK was a polarizing figure but I wish he was still here because it really is his "in the face" style that has led to this. I sit here and shed tears of joy every time another state joins in but I've never been an activist and I applaud all those who were and are. It's so important yet so difficult to stand up and be counted.

My thanks to all those who have.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010

I never get tired of saying that.:D

As other posters have said in the past, this is happening far faster than most us thought possible.:D

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Out children and out children's children and so on will one day look back and think of how funny it was that you couldn't choose who you wanted to marry if it wasn't someone of the same sex and wonder why it was illegal for so long, just as today we look back on slavery and and think, "how could someone own another human being".

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
.....And now the ban on gay marriage in Pennsylvania has been struck down!

These things are dropping like flies. Last year, the AG said she wouldn't defend the ban, so the hopefully it will be smooth sailing soon for those who want to get married.

This is the 10th State which has had a ban ruled unconstitutional since the SCOTUS rulings last year. Absolutely unbelievable!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

These things are dropping like flies. Last year, the AG said she wouldn't defend the ban, so the hopefully it will be smooth sailing soon for those who want to get married.

This is the 10th State which has had a ban ruled unconstitutional since the SCOTUS rulings last year. Absolutely unbelievable!

Damn, you gays get **** done. How about putting this marriage thing on the back burner and tackling income inequality. As a matter fo a fact, all you might need to do is say you support it :D

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States

I love the judge's wording.
In today’s ruling, Judge Jones wrote, “We are a better people than what these laws represent, and it is time to discard them into the ash heap of history.”

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
I love the judge's wording.
In today’s ruling, Judge Jones wrote, “We are a better people than what these laws represent, and it is time to discard them into the ash heap of history.”
Awesome and True!

Whenever we have met with legislators who oppose gay marriage, I always start off with a quote or two from prior decisions to exemplify how un-American these laws really are. When I first moved to Texas, we had to use decisions from other civil rights issues (including Loving v VA, and quotes from Mrs. Loving herself), because we didn't have a lot of legal standing behind us. It's just amazing to me that we now have a dearth of decisions to reference. Definitely putting that one on the list.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
It's great that so many people get it now. I can't help but wonder how this is going to affect the republicans this fall and two years from now.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
It's great that so many people get it now. I can't help but wonder how this is going to affect the republicans this fall and two years from now.
I have to imagine that they're going to have to make it a non-issue now. Making marriage only between a man and a woman was built into their platform in the last Presidential election. I don't think we'll see that again. It's inevitable for one, and second, we're reaching a point where the majority of Americans are on our side.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You know what makes this ruling even sweeter? The judge was endorsed for his position by Santorum, appointed by Bush and cited Scalia in his ruling. :D

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure most of them have admitted defeat on this one. If not in public then at least to themselves.
Agreed. Unless they get called out on this each and every time, they are going to quietly acquiesce, letting it get swept under the rug, then rile their base again just by saying "Obamacare" and "Benghazi".

BL.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I'm pretty sure most of them have admitted defeat on this one. If not in public then at least to themselves.
And the smart ones have outright admitted this is the right thing.

When I get married, I'm going to have a sailor dress, but it's going to be a gown, and all my bridesmaids are gonna wear sailor hats. :D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Even Maggie Gallagher is throwing in the towel.

Maggie Gallagher, a founder and former president of the National Organization for Marriage, a group dedicated to opposing marriage by gays and lesbians, conceded in a post on her blog that those resisting same-sex marriages "are in shock, they are awed by the powers now shutting down the debate and by our ineffectualness at responding to these developments."
http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/Gay-marriage-foe-Maggie-Gallagher-admits-fight-5447382.php

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008

And it looks like the Pennsylvania ruling is going to stick, as the AP is reporting that the governor will not challenge or appeal the ruling. So like California/Prop. 8, no-one there will have standing in the case to appeal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that should take care of the entire northeast, shouldn't it? or is there still a ban in place in Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont?

BL.