Idaho gay marriage ban struck down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, May 14, 2014.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted yet but it's happening so quickly and frequently I suppose it has become somewhat blasé.

reuters

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It was mentioned in the Arkansas thread but it deserves its own, if for no other reason that to piss off the bigots.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I suspect Antonin will be in the (fading) minority when SCOTUS finally settles this question – c. 2019.

4. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

If he makes it that long...

LeeK was a polarizing figure but I wish he was still here because it really is his "in the face" style that has led to this. I sit here and shed tears of joy every time another state joins in but I've never been an activist and I applaud all those who were and are. It's so important yet so difficult to stand up and be counted.

My thanks to all those who have.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

And another one bites the dust.

I couldn't be happier.

KGB:cool:

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

I never get tired of saying that.:D

As other posters have said in the past, this is happening far faster than most us thought possible.:D

10. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Out children and out children's children and so on will one day look back and think of how funny it was that you couldn't choose who you wanted to marry if it wasn't someone of the same sex and wonder why it was illegal for so long, just as today we look back on slavery and and think, "how could someone own another human being".

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

.....And now the ban on gay marriage in Pennsylvania has been struck down!

These things are dropping like flies. Last year, the AG said she wouldn't defend the ban, so the hopefully it will be smooth sailing soon for those who want to get married.

This is the 10th State which has had a ban ruled unconstitutional since the SCOTUS rulings last year. Absolutely unbelievable!

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Damn, you gays get **** done. How about putting this marriage thing on the back burner and tackling income inequality. As a matter fo a fact, all you might need to do is say you support it :D

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The Gay Mafia is unstoppable!!

I'll definitely bring this up at our next meeting. ;)

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I love the judge's wording.
    In today’s ruling, Judge Jones wrote, “We are a better people than what these laws represent, and it is time to discard them into the ash heap of history.”

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Awesome and True!

Whenever we have met with legislators who oppose gay marriage, I always start off with a quote or two from prior decisions to exemplify how un-American these laws really are. When I first moved to Texas, we had to use decisions from other civil rights issues (including Loving v VA, and quotes from Mrs. Loving herself), because we didn't have a lot of legal standing behind us. It's just amazing to me that we now have a dearth of decisions to reference. Definitely putting that one on the list.

16. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's great that so many people get it now. I can't help but wonder how this is going to affect the republicans this fall and two years from now.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have to imagine that they're going to have to make it a non-issue now. Making marriage only between a man and a woman was built into their platform in the last Presidential election. I don't think we'll see that again. It's inevitable for one, and second, we're reaching a point where the majority of Americans are on our side.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You know what makes this ruling even sweeter? The judge was endorsed for his position by Santorum, appointed by Bush and cited Scalia in his ruling. :D

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm pretty sure most of them have admitted defeat on this one. If not in public then at least to themselves.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. Unless they get called out on this each and every time, they are going to quietly acquiesce, letting it get swept under the rug, then rile their base again just by saying "Obamacare" and "Benghazi".

BL.

21. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

And the smart ones have outright admitted this is the right thing.

When I get married, I'm going to have a sailor dress, but it's going to be a gown, and all my bridesmaids are gonna wear sailor hats. :D

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Even Maggie Gallagher is throwing in the towel.

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/Gay-marriage-foe-Maggie-Gallagher-admits-fight-5447382.php

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And it looks like the Pennsylvania ruling is going to stick, as the AP is reporting that the governor will not challenge or appeal the ruling. So like California/Prop. 8, no-one there will have standing in the case to appeal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that should take care of the entire northeast, shouldn't it? or is there still a ban in place in Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont?

BL.