Idaho teacher apologizes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 14, 2014.

1. jkcerda, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/idaho-teacher-apologizes-killing-skinning-rabbit-class-221629477.html

you can have classes on sex ed /abortion ETC , but god forbid the kids learn where meat/food comes from? or how the animals are killed?

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

"School administrators were not consulted about the demonstration"

so that means no parental approval, just the student approval to see and wasn't part of the official curriculum.

if he had sent proper approval papers then his would be a nonissue. nevertheless this is prob a minor infarction and he won't get fired for this ( i hope)

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

4. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

from link
    I see nothing wrong at all with what he did.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

They are minors that is why it was wrong. Asking a minor to leave or stay does not make it right. ;) The presentation wasn't part of the approved curriculum, he can't add whatever he wants w.out approval by the district/school. Also, there is no need to teach proper (who knows since it wasn't approved to be shown) killing methods for meat in a standard biology class. If this was a farm type class then sure.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Quite honestly, I'm an adult and have no desire whatsoever to watch my food be killed or learn about how it's done. It's why I always HATED hunting (besides the fact that it was always cold, early, and boring as hell). In fact, I don't eat seafood for one major specific reason: it is often served as the animal on the plate which you then tear apart to eat. Just...no.

I guess as long as students who didn't want to be a part of it were excused, then...okay.

They have classes about abortion?

7. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

er, we got to see a pig get butchered on campus, guy shot the pig with a .22 in the head & cut it's throat , we were allowed into the area right after the guy put the rifle away and saw the pig being bled. few lucky ones got to step up & cut the pig under the butchers guidance.

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

Awesome!!!!!!!

Or not.

9. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

abortion was part of sex ed when I went.

LOVE hunting, but it go expensive here. I have not hunted in over 5 years, I simply don't have the time, and I refuse to join the orange army (rifle season) as they are full of morons. I only bow hunt for deer, might go nail a few yotes with the AR.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A few "lucky ones"?

How does cutting into the recently killed body of a large mammal make one "lucky"?

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

they use electric probes to instant kill now, but so what :confused:
    Is pig meat anatomy part of standard biology class? learning the cuts? no they aren't. Same w rabbits. You are confusing a standard biology class w a farm type class/school.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Mentioning the word is not the same thing as a live demonstration in class.

13. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

might depend on what state you are in, this was CA and it was part of my class, donated by the FFA I think. we got to dissect a pig a few years earlier

----------

yeah, depends on the kids in question, I thought it was great, I don't recall any complaints about it other than some girls thinking it was disgusting.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Did any "lucky" kids get to help?

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Which in most circles is considered a complaint.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Nothing wrong with it, per se; however, that teacher has a lot more important things to teach than dressing game.

My grandpa taught me how to skin a deer but he sure didn't teach me how to take the integral of a function.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see the big deal here. Kids who didn't want to see it were excused. These are teenagers, not children.

18. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Hard to say how many had one (abortion)

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just the lucky ones?

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

That is the thing, yours was donated by the FFA so your school is what I consider a farm type school/class... AFAIK the one in the news wasn't.

When I was in 5th grade in a private school in lat america we had to choose from a selection a small animal for biology class and in groups of 6 we had to present the bones in a 3d display and shown them and recite them to the class. Our animal was a rabbit. Besides rabbit I have done the basics of frog and rat in high school in the usa, then in college for anatomy class we dissected a cat, then on med school I dissected a human. All of them were to learn about how they function and not for other purposes, they all were pre-approved and parents knew what we were doing in class when I was a minor and me before taking said classes.

21. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

My son killed & field dressed he rabbit he shot. Took him big game hunting a few times with no luck

----------

I am yet to dissect a human:eek:

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

No disagreement with your points but the probes don't really kill the hog. Immediately following the shock the "sticker" presses a long knife into the throat on both sides to start it to bleed out. So the shock and the subsequent slicing of its arteries causes death. This was the process at the packing house I worked for five years.

----------

I feel the teacher used extremely poor judgement.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

My friend Anton Chighur has a nifty little gadget...

[​IMG]

24. Carlanga, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Thanks for the info. I watched a documentary I think last year and they did instant kills w the probes causing a heart attack. i think some might prefer to do the smaller electrical stun and then knife while unconscious so as the animal don't fell the pain yet kept the meat less tense w the stun and knife than stronger probing only kill.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Time consuming, boring, and tough to really learn from.