iDay - 2 iPhones; 1 for myself & 1 for ebay: Rebate Results (also a POLL)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattyMac, Oct 26, 2007.

?

Who does the iPhone rebate belong to?

1. The rebate belongs to the original purchaser.

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. The rebate belongs to the ebay purchaser.

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

On iDay I purchased two iPhones. One for myself and one for ebay :rolleyes:

As soon as steve made the rebate available (9/14/07), I quickly submitted mine and received my $100 store credit!

In the back of my head I wondered if I could receive the credit for the other iPhone I sold on ebay?? I decided to wait and give a month or so to the purchaser to see if he would submit for the rebate.

Well...today I decided to give it a try. I simply plugged in my current iPhone's number and the serial number to the iPhone sold on ebay and I got my rebate!

Did it work for anyone else?

2. mmfy macrumors regular

Is that morally correct as you already recouped the whole cost of the 2nd phone by selling it and the person who bought it can't...or doesn't that matter anymore? :confused:

3. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I'm actually battling in my head now if it is morally correct?? I probably should have waited until the last day that you can submit for the rebate and then gave it a shot. That is what I was originally planning to do.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You waited a month, which was fair.

You bought the iPhone on iDay, you waited in line, you deserve the rebate.

5. gdevitry macrumors member

The 'true' owner might track you down... if Apple helps. You would have had to enter your phone # for the pin/code...:eek:

6. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I highly doubt it. That would be against privacy policies.

7. gdevitry macrumors member

Humm.. they have the phone. He stole $100 from them... Privacy goes out the window.

8. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I didn't steal anything. Technically, what I did was A-OK if apple let the rebate through. The rebate goes to whoever purchased from apple. The ebay purchaser didn't buy it from apple, but through ebay....and ebay sure isnt giving any iPhone rebates. If you look at the fine print, I don't see any rules against what I did.

Morally...that may be another story. Which is why I may contact the fellow.

9. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

UPDATE: I added a poll...my first one at that!

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Honestly though, he didn't do it in a full month. I think you gave him plenty of time. If he didn't do it then he probably never even knew it was an option.

11. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

My thoughts exactly. No use letting it go to waste.

I'm just wondering why apple let it go through. I suppose I met all of the requirments. My phone number is registered through AT&T as an iPhone and purchased in correct time frame (obviously).

12. oxeneers macrumors member

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah, it's almost like losing something, say $1000, and you go and turn it into the police. If someone doesn't claim it within a month, usually it's yours.

14. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

word to that

15. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I don't really care if it's right or wrong, you have probably been f**ck=d over plenty of times too. It happens all the time when we buy cars, pay for our cable bill, or even our cell phone bill. Enjoy your $100, you deserve it.

16. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I wouldn't want to consider it messing anyone over...I'm not that kind of person.

Maybe they will contact me if they end up trying to go for the rebate and it doesn't work. If that is the case, I'll work something out with them. I still think that will be unlikely since its already been almost 1.5 months and they haven't done anything.

17. Geffen macrumors 6502

Well i think the person that purchased the iPhone from you should have gotten the rebate since you basically sold the iphone you basically sold that serial # as well and got the money you paid back for that iPhone, now when this person tries to get the $100 rebate they can't which they may track you down to ask for their $100 eventually.

18. sananda macrumors 68020

the rebate is yours. it has nothing to do with the person you sold it to. it is solely between you, the buyer, and apple.

having thought about this again: you didn't comply with the terms of the rebate. you didn't enter the correct phone number.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You did not say (or at least I did not catch it) if you charged full price for the phone as it was when you bought it. If you did then I would suspect that the truth is in the ethics of it all. The purchaser of your iPhone had a right to that rebate and because he/she did not pursue the rebate in a matter of time that you deemed appropriate does not make it any more ethical on your part. However, who knows. The person may not believe they're entitled to the rebate because they did not buy from Apple and therefore would not have even tried. It depends. So many scenarios can play out here but the truth is you did what you did and no matter what the polling results show you will keep the rebate so who are we to be your moral judges?

20. nerimon macrumors newbie

Morals ABSOLUTELY don't come into it.

You bought an iPhone at full price.

They lowered the price and offered credit to people who bought the iPhone at full price.

You got the credit.

Simple as.

The guy bought the iPhone from you, so he pays whatever you charge him. Apple decided to give credit to buyers of their iPhone, but you've made no such agreement to do the same to buyers of your iPhone.

And if there was any slight doubt still in your mind - you gave him a month to do it himself. He didn't, more fool him, enjoy the money. Treat yourself to Leopard. ^_^

21. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Good on you. You deserve it, no matter what the intention for the phone.