IDC reports 66% of polled current iphone owners are HOLDING OFF on purchasing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tivoboy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

2. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

As they should.

If you were about to spend $2,000 on a device (the phone plus the 2-year contract monthly fees) then you would probably want to make sure it worked properly first, too.

3. mangohippo macrumors member

[I only skimmed the article]

The article doesn't seem to comment on whether or not said iPhone owners are eligible for a iPhone 4 update. If I own an iPhone 3GS and still have a while left on my contract of course I wouldn't [sell my current iPhone and] buy a new one at full price.

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Good, then they can miss out on the best smart phone on the market and for once I can own an iphone and actually have a unique device that 9/10 people around me don't have.

:)

Mountain out of a mole hill. Oh, and lol @ polls.

5. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Compared to what?

At this point in each other iPhone's life, how many people were holding back? I know countless coworkers at each iteration of the iPhone saying, "I'm gonna wait for the next one."

And there was no alleged "antenna" issue then.

6. Centient macrumors 6502

Same article says:

"But another survey result clearly puzzled Stofega. According to the IDC poll, 74% of those who do not own an iPhone , but plan to buy one, said that the antenna and reception problems would not delay their purchase plans.

That's a very mixed message," said Stofega. "It looks like a perfect example of the difference between behavioral economics and market economics. The iPhone 4 clearly isn't working as it should, Apple's saying that 'We'll give you a Bumper,' but people seem committed to the iPhone. Many of them see this as overblown, and that Apple will fix it."

Stofega added that IDC's research had revealed that the iPhone 4 continues to "sell like hotcakes."

Interesting to note the discrepancy.

7. blissmonkey macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for the white one. I cant wait to test out the new feature of easily dropping calls.

8. Centient macrumors 6502

That's a really good point, and it isn't addressed at all in the article. We have no way of knowing what impact the antenna issue has had on these hold-outs. It's implied in the article, but I'd really rather know what the hard facts or at least the qualitative data on the reasons cited for waiting.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Sorry, didn't read the article. Just wanted to comment that historically, many "I plan to buy XXX" surveys have usually been off by a factor of three.

In other words, if 30% say they plan to buy something, usually 10% actually do.

Have to bear that kind of thing in mind when comparing surveys.

10. AutolycusX macrumors newbie

Weren't 77% of the initial 1.7M sales upgrades from previous iPhones? So 66% of the leftovers who were waiting because of contracts or financial reasons are still waiting? It's news!

11. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I have a friend who has the first iphone and has been eligible for an upgrade since last year. He now says he will wait until AT LEAST after September to see what shakes out....

12. dagomike macrumors 65816

The survey said because of problems, not current contract or in general. It appears the survey attempts to specifically address reported technical issues of the phone.

Not that surprising really. It just demonstrates the good will Apple has earned in the market. People assume either the reports are overblown or Apple will fix it based on their perception of company and its products. This is the true danger for Apple. Not weak sales on a single product but lost of consumer trust which may spread across all products/services.

13. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I'm just "holding off" until I can order a white one.

14. Centient macrumors 6502

One final comment before I write this poll off completely. The article notes that 66% of IT professionals it polled responded with 'will wait b/c of antenna issues'.

So the 66% cited is actually a group of IT pros who currently own iPhones, and haven't already upgraded, and are going to wait. Really? How reflective of the public at large is such a survey...

Not to say this doesn't make some people hesitate, but come on...

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not very. Weren't "IT professionals" the same group who were "holding off" on getting an iPhone in the first place because of "security concerns?"

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I love having the iPhone 4.

Thanks to all the media overhype about the antenna issue I can hang up on anyone, at anytime and blame it on the iPhone 4! :D

17. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

That's some interesting/retarded math. By that same logic, their free phones cost around $1,700.

18. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

I'm a current iPhone owner who wasn't planning to hold of, it just worked out that way. Bought an iPhone 4 on opening day and had problems with it. A week later I exchanged it for another example, only to have the same problems, so back it went, too.

I'm now back to my trusty 3GS and more than happy to be counted as one who is holding off.

19. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it isn't $2,000 they are paying the same monthly fee regardless, the only part that has anything to do with the new phone is the commitment that you will be their customer for the next 2 years not the fees themselves which are the cost of service and nothing more. it's a subtile difference but an important one