Idea: Apple start selling REFURBISHED 5s to alleviate long lines

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pat.micunnis, Sep 27, 2013.

1. pat.micunnis, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

pat.micunnis macrumors regular

Would this cut down on the long lines, if Apple immediately starts reselling REFURBISHED phones that people are wardrobing - returning?

I was at a couple of Apple stores yesterday trying to find my desired model & noticed that about one-third to one-quarter of those in the "walk-in" line had an iPhone box. It looks like people "settled" for whatever stock was available to purchase that day & are now going back to the store & waiting in line to see if their desired model is in stock.

I overheard someone in line that they will continue to buy and then return a phone until they can get their hands on the gold.

2. Fission macrumors regular

They can't sell them as new, so no. People are in there to get new phones, not used and non refurbished.

Time for people to start acting like adults.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

No, as said you can't sell used as new although some places (Bestbuy) does that for certain items at least.

4. inspirations365 macrumors regular

Um, no they don't. That's illegal. They will be more than happy to sell you an Open Box item over a new one.

5. pat.micunnis thread starter macrumors regular

Since people are having to settle on a phone or whatever is in stock in the store, I was suggesting that buying a refurbished one to hold them for a couple of weeks while they search and get their desired online order...

6. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

Apple has told me numerous times that they do not sell used or refurbs. Best Buy will sell open box iPhones and actually it's a great way to get a phone, often times they'll make you a killer deal on the phone that was simply returned cause a customer changes their mind. Always ask about open box!

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

How many refurbished phones do you expect them to have a week after launch? :confused:

8. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

I know this is no gauge on the amount apple might get but at Best Buy last year we had like 5 iphone 5's return in the first week, it might be more at an apple store but sometimes people return them for whatever reason. Color, size, buyers remorse. It happens

9. pat.micunnis thread starter macrumors regular

Does AT&T charge activation fee each time you activate a device? For example: if I activate a new 5s, but then find the model that I actually want (and return the old 5s): am I charged 2 activation fees?

10. underkuerbis macrumors member

Wait... what does that even intend to accomplish?!?

11. pat.micunnis thread starter macrumors regular

I assume they want to be able to return the device within the 30 day window. And keep buying a new one until their desired model is finally in stock.

12. DucMike macrumors member

DucMike

Reset of the 15-day return period maybe? I'm 'considering' this one time, and only after I see exactly how the white/silver one looks in the 'flesh'. If I'm not thrilled, then Space Grey it is.

Good question indeed.

13. Advil macrumors 6502a

Or they could just get their sweatshop workers to make more new ones lol