Idea for the next iPhone’s touch screen - what do you think?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Corndog5595, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

When you are scrolling through something on iOS, you can keep scrolling up through the Nav and Status bars; you all should know what I am talking about. You can begin scrolling one element of the screen and keep scrolling even after your finger leaves that area of the screen. That makes sense right?

Well, imagine if the entire bezel (or most of it) had touch capability. You could keep scrolling even after your finger leaves the screen. The bezel wouldn’t really do much or even recognize touches unless you began scrolling on the screen.

What do you guys think of this idea?

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I think the pre did this. Scrolling would be a good application for it. Or really, general navigation gestures would be ncie to have on areas OUTSIDE the screen.

3. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Well in games I rest my fingers on the outside of the screen so I wouldn't want that

4. Corndog5595 thread starter macrumors 65816

you might want to re-read my post then.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I like this idea, but what I really want for the next iPhone's screen is scrolling on the back. The MagicMouse doesn't detect unnecessary touches so neither should the iPhone back.

6. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it screw-up if you touched the black border while holding the iPhone?

7. Corndog5595 thread starter macrumors 65816

Read paragraph #2

8. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I get your point, but what the other poster said still rings true. In your scenario you would still need to make sure you touched the sides and never moved your fingers even a little while touching the bezel. This would cause all sorts of problems in scenarios where you are re-gripping the phone. This reason alone is why you wont see this on an iPhone.

9. Corndog5595 thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess so, but when I am scrolling, i can touch the nav bar and it doesn’t affect my scrolling. The problem you guys are pointing out is easily avoided without removing any functionality.

10. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Sounds like a good idea. I know its crossed my mind using my iPhone.