Idea to Encourage Police Accountability

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WinstonRumfoord, Jun 9, 2016.

1. WinstonRumfoord, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016

WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

http://www.kmbc.com/news/expolice-o...-after-teen-hurt-during-traffic-stop/39842824

Just saw a new video on facebook of a teen getting tased for 30 seconds into cardiac arrest, for asking why he was pulled over. The worst part is it's not even shocking to me anymore, it's seeming like this sort of ridiculousness is a daily happening in this day and age.

I noticed that the attacker's (attacker, NOT officer) name was made public, and it got me thinking... Mr. Timothy Runnels, monster, is clearly not fit to be employed by anyone, much less to serve. His paltry prison sentence will no doubt be reduced and he will be out before we know it.

With the internet's yet increasing importance in our day-to-day, is there anything ILLEGAL about purchasing TimothyRunnels.com and TimRunnels.com and creating a basic one page site simply stating the facts of the encounter, a repeating GIF of the incident, and some choice screamer headlines, such as "Tim Runnels is a Dangerous, Psychopathic Madman"?

If one was careful to ONLY state facts proven truthful, would there be any possible legal recourse that Psychopathic Madman Tim Runnels could take?

edit: Mostly I am asking if there is any precedent for this sort of thing. I know that it is pretty common in politics, but what about with a non-public-figure criminal?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

If you are genuinely worried about your livelihood, you probably shouldn't be asking for legal advice from random people on MacRumors.

3. WinstonRumfoord thread starter macrumors 6502

Who said I was worried about my livelihood?

I'm more interested if there is any precedent for this, I imagine sometihng like this has been tried more than once before. I tried googling but it's an obscure concept and I had no luck.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. ActionableMango, Jun 9, 2016

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I had reasonably assumed one possible legal recourse you were worried about was being sued for large amounts of money or perhaps some sort of criminal charges, therefore in either case damaging your livelihood. But if that's not the case, then my assumption was wrong. What kind of legal recourse are you worried about?

6. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

7. WinstonRumfoord thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Police behavior is a top-down deal. It begins with the mayor and city council, who appoint the police chief. If cops do bad stuff and do it over lengthy periods of time, that means that it's okay with the bigwigs. If they get re-elected, it means that cop-crap is okay with the majority of voters.

9. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Since it was a federal conviction, he will not get parole. He will serve in a federal penitentiary. After release, he will also serve two years of federal probation, which is almost always more intensive than state. So his life belongs to the feds for the next six years.

In the full dashcam video you can see him begin to realize his career was quite possibly over and, albeit unlikely (to him), his freedom. At one point he just nervously taps his taser or sidearm, and I have to assume he is scared sh**less. What you don't see in the video is the kid's face.... his jaw was dislocated and he was quite bloodied. He is (mildly) questioned by other officers and medics but says he just "walked" him over there. They seem to buy it, even with a bloodied unconscious kid right in front of them. That is the biggest problem: the "good" cops who don't immediately call out the bad.

Mike

10. vrDrew, Jun 9, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm not sure assigning random people (even police officers who break the law or procedure) to be the recipient of internet-enabled vitriol and harassment is a good idea.

There is not much evidence to suggest that public shaming is very effective at preventing the commission of crimes in the first place. There is even less to suggest it is effective at reducing recidivism. At best it lets people vent their outrage. But it does nothing to to help the victims of crime.

On a larger level, I think people are not well-served by stoking their anger. Rather than "letting their anger out" - people who constantly allow themselves to get angry, simply get angry more often, and more intently than people who make a point of keeping their emotions in check. See this article about "venting"

11. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Until one day when their heads explode.

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's Circa 2016, colorful characters like Hussein and Hillary have made the truth highly ambiguous and completely irrelevant. Even entertaining, as Hussein has demonstrated on more than one late night show. Why get concerned while focusing on police activities... or as Hillary so aptly put it "what difference does it make" :eek:

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

My brother is a State Cop and he said in station he is shocked by some of the fellow officers conduct. He secretly calls them "Dudly Do Rights" and coments that some of them are so full of themselves that it's really scared of them! When he made detective he said he really gets on to those "do rights" that are full of themselves!

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Technically calling him names takes you out of the "safety" of only stating "facts proven truthful".

It's not circa 2016, it is 2016.