Idea to enhance theft protection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, Oct 29, 2013.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I'm glad Apple gave us Activation Lock. However, I do have an idea that Apple could use with the next iPhone.

I say that Apple should make it so that each computer that communicates with the iPhone must have a certificate whose private key is unique to the device and to the computer that is to connect to the device.

This certificate would have to be obtained online. Before giving said certificate, the person who wants to connect the phone to the computer would ideally have to provide the Apple ID and password of the owner. If the owner claimed the device was stolen, Apple would then give the appropriate law enforcement officers any information Apple has that could help law enforcement find and arrest the criminal(s).

How would Apple know the owner's Apple ID? The owner would give Apple documentation that proves the phone belongs to him or her.

2. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Apple will most likely never do that because apple is all about simple, that would require to much to be considered simple for most people.

3. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Nice i theory but too many steps but i for one wouldnt mind.
    I am still waitjng for apple to enable the drag and drop feature.

4. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Disable power off from lock screen
    Now the thief can't turn off the iPhone and he's holding a tracking device.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Thanks to phones, tablets and clouds not everyone has or needs a computer anymore.

6. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I don't think that's coming

7. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Force shutdown with power + home? DFU mode? Removing SIM card? Airplane Mode? I think there are way too many ways to get around this than to simply disable slide to power off on lock screen.