[Idea] Touch ID Could still be good on the back of the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borgqueenx, Apr 22, 2017.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Alot of people including me feel touch ID is a bad idea on the back of the new iphone.

However it can be made a bit better, by not scanning the fingertip but the whole fingers. This way you can just slide over the back of the iphone a little and are done authorising yourself.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Exactly how would you propose Apple implement this? I don't see how that would be any easier when you have to use multiple fingers as you stated.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So the whole back of the iPhone would be a sensor?

Think about that.

4. gsxr1000 macrumors member

gsxr1000

My problem is cases. I use cases always have. Are they going to cut out a hole in cases and if so that means more dirt and dust on back. This is crap. Only thing they could do is put a dust ring around hole in case to sit on back of phone to keep it out. Which in turn will put a ring on your phone. Unless u use a skin. It's still crap.

5. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

no, we just slide over that sensor with whatever part of our fingers and it would be unlocked.

6. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

7. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

i realise its not a perfect solution. Touch ID on the back will never be as good as on front. But if they do it like i suggested on a good way, then its not as back as i initially thought.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Touch ID in the back is a terrible idea.
    Unless they get rid of it completely and go with face recognition.
    But not sure how good of a solution that would be or how fast it would unlock.
    I'd hate to have to position the camera and have to smile and feel like Im taking 200 selfies a day to unlock my device :D

9. Packers1958 macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't need another button on the back. Just make the Apple logo a FP sensor. Functional and beautiful.

10. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Agree,touch id on the back is totally a crap idea, apple should delay until the technology is ready to put it under the display

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The downside to placing the touch ID on the back of the iPhone, is that would require me to purchase new iPhone cases in the Fall. However, if I do upgrade to the reported 5.8 OLED iPhone, I guess that would mean I would have to purchase new cases anyways. But in any manner, it's not going to be a cheap September.

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Is it ever?

13. Packers1958 macrumors 6502a

You can buy an entry level iMac for the price of the 8!

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Sadly no. I wish it was. Especially when they release multiple products in the same month that I want more than I need. But you know what that is like, don't you Gathomblipoob?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    But the price of the iPhone 8 has not been determined yet. And if it is more expensive, it's likely going to be The OLED model (If rumored true) over the LED models.

15. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

everything its negatives. you have to point the device to your head and if its not with lasers then the room has to be well light up as well.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, that sounds like a pain too.

17. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

all in all, touch ID in front/under screen is the best. But if it doesnt happen, my idea might be alot better for everyone.

18. Packers1958 macrumors 6502a

At this point, Apple has already made it's decision. You just can't stop at this point and redesign the phone and still make the September announcement. We very well may get the FP sensor on the back this year, and on the screen in 2018.

19. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Does not make sense.. o_O

20. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

No, that will come of as a mistake from apple. Apple doesnt make mistakes. They will announce it as the best thing ever.

21. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I think touch id on the power button would be better than the back for worst case.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That will highly impress me if Apple implements that.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2017 ---
    Hell no!!! You'll have a ton of errors due to much less surface area.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty much.
    It will come out sounding like we fixed last years rushed out touch ID solution and we put it back in the front now in 2018.
    I doubt that will happen.
    If they go for it they will stick with it.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have purchased every single iPhone since the 3G. If the TouchID is on the back of the device, I will not purchase it. Makes it 100% worthless on my desk at work and school. No thanks. 100% deal breaker.

25. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apple certainly won't delay any technology because of a feature that you don't like. It's A matter of when the technology is mature enough past research and development when They decide to release it. And knowingly how they do things, that's on their terms.