Identifying the Problem

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting article showing how the police body camera manufacturers are working on putting AI into the cameras. The camera would act as a surveillance device scanning for persons of interest in large groups of people.

Do you think this is a good idea or are does this make you nervous ?

2. jeyf macrumors 6502

9 out of 10 the new body camera would be told to scan blue sky and its function otherwise disabled

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Count me singularly unimpressed with the capabilities of AI body-camera technology.

[​IMG]

I don't think you are going to replace years of law-enforcement training and experience with the ability to distinguish between a person and a car. I think 100% of three-year-olds, and a fairly high percentage of domestic cats can do pretty much the same thing.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You should see some of what my phone begs me to tag as a face after I take a snapshot of whatever's on the design wall closest to my sewing machine at the end of a workday. OK, an image of Buddha on a piece of fabric, I can understand that. Some quilt block with a couple triangles and a button on it... "Alien"?

Granted, that software is nothing compared to whatever's offered by more sophisticated facial recognition technology now available or in the works. But I keep those design-wall "aliens" in mind when I read stuff about computers picking people out of crowds.

It annoyed me when I marched against the Vietnam War and FBI-in-library were not in the library but outdoors with us in the crowd and photographing peaceful demonstrators. I smiled at one of them one time and asked "If that one turns out good could I get a copy?" but the guy had no sense of humor and just walked on. That it can be done now without my knowledge doesn't actually make me feel deprived that I couldn't josh the person taking the pictures, no. But my annoyance level is about the same.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Those that can't, either feline or human, have a very short life expectancy.

6. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I might agree except I see the cameras networking into a computer that can do a good job of it along with archiving the video.

Also, these are just the start of experimental units.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I have the same concerns with that kind of tech as I do with license plate scanners. Specifically data retention.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

As long as there is a human involved and actually looking at the picture at some point between a computer identifying someone and the police officer wearing the camera being told to go after them then I'm fine with this. Realistically though the technology is not there for this to be particularly useful.

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Don't care. Not a criminal. Gonna be fun watching the ACLU on this. We want body cams, oh wait, no we don't.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You might very easily be misidentified as one, so you definitely should care.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

One step closer to the fascist surveillance state.

Brave new world here we come!

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No shock. It's the Brownshirt left that has called for them in the first place.