IDG World Expo's Greco... Quitting

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Boston Globe Online reports that Charlie Greco is looking to quit from his current position:

In an electronic mail bulletin to its subscribers, Tradeshow Week magazine reported that Charlie Greco is leaving Framingham-based IDG World Expo for another position in the event management industry, and that IDG has begun seeking a replacement.
Greco has been highly public about his plans to move the Summer MacWorld back to Boston. In October, there were reports that the move to Boston was a done deal...

Apple then announced that it would not be participating in a Boston MacWorld. Most recent indications are that Apple and IDG are still in negotiations about future MacWorlds. It is unclear if Greco's rumored resignation is related to these matters.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Let's just get it on!

Who cares who resigned or what the deal is.
Apple & IDG are capable of resolving this.

Let's just get this thing on!

marcsiry

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
I think i'll apply for his job.

I'll keep the Expo in New york City, since i just moved here in September- it would be a bummer to have to hike up to Boston.

Steve Jobs can stay at my house when he's in town for the show- Apple's board should appreciate the savings over the Waldorf-Astoria. I promise not to peek in his bags at the "one more thing" while he's asleep!

I'll even let him use my bus pass to get to Javits.

Prepare for the new era of Apple/MacWorld co-operation!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i remember reading about this awhile back... why does Apple care about this so much? do they have an attachment to new york? it doesn't seem like it should matter to them whether it's in NYC or Boston. anyone know why?

marcsiry

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
New York gets more attention

Since there's so much media here (print and broadcast) events held in NYC get a lot more coverage in mainstream US media than they do elsewhere (except possibly Los Angeles).

It leverages their expenditure into more PR and advertising than they would get in Boston (nice place, but relatively small compared to NYC).

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: New York gets more attention

Originally posted by marcsiry
Since there's so much media here (print and broadcast) events held in NYC get a lot more coverage in mainstream US media than they do elsewhere (except possibly Los Angeles).

It leverages their expenditure into more PR and advertising than they would get in Boston (nice place, but relatively small compared to NYC).
that makes sense.

i think, if it saves apple money for the same amount of publicity, that the Boston folks should drive to NY instead of vice versa. that would be a waste of time. as a TX resident, i can't go, and if i could, it wouldn't matter which city it was in anyway.

badika

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2002
NY would be great for a Quark and PM970 box debut

It would make sense for Apple to participate in NY with such a press AND video market presence there. The trade could get convenient workshops and product demos. But, who knows how much money Apple really needs to save to pay for that Gulfstream maintenance

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
haha

Originally posted by badika
It would make sense for Apple to participate in NY with such a press AND video market presence there. The trade could get convenient workshops and product demos. But, who knows how much money Apple really needs to save to pay for that Gulfstream maintenance
there's no way in hell quark express will be out by then. they're just running the alphas now!

it'll be more like, apple will debut PMac 970s and Quark will realize what complete idiots they were for not believing in OS X.

[edit] 500th post! [/edit]

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
javits convention center/nyc: expensive, good image

boston: less expensive, but it's just not new york ...

the expo should stay at nyc! it's perfect for apple - nyc has such a good image worldwide - i would really like to life there, but it looks like i am stuck in zuerich/switzerland (though a nice place, too)

hey marcsiry, congrats to move to nyc! how is real life there? i just know nyc from a few short vacations and from the macexpo-keynote-live-streaming :)

.a

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Re: I think i'll apply for his job.

Originally posted by marcsiry
I think i'll apply for his job.

I was just thinking the exact same thing.:D

robbents99

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2001
Directly under the sun....now.
Anyone else remember AppleFest?

I remember going to Boston for AppleFest a looooong time ago and see Lord British there showing off one of the Ultima Games. It'd be cool to go and see a MacBoston sometime.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Re: New York gets more attention

Originally posted by Shadowfax

that makes sense.

i think, if it saves apple money for the same amount of publicity, that the Boston folks should drive to NY instead of vice versa. that would be a waste of time. as a TX resident, i can't go, and if i could, it wouldn't matter which city it was in anyway.
Not to mention the number of people that live within 1 hour of NYC is many millions more than Boston.

Dwarf Sidious

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2003
Conferences a tough sell right now.

Coupla things:

The parent of Comdex is Key3Media. They have indeed filed for bankruptcy. There have been complaints that Comdex has become a hodgepodge of technology vendors which makes it difficult for some visitors to learn what they need.

The same day, Jupiter Research (like a phoenix, this company is) announces that they'll host a replacement of sorts. Key3's response that the Comdex brand will win out has some merit.

IDG's Greco has, in fact, said he'll resign. I don't blame him. Besides the fact that recent negotiations with Apple must have been a pain, the conference industry is hardly the place to be right now given the economy and tight budgets overall.

One interesting thing is that this month's Macworld has as one of its first ads a promotion of Macworld for the Summer, to be located in New York. I think it's a done deal.

julzmon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
NYC
I love NYC and can't see the expo anywhere else. I love NYC it's such a nice place to be. Although I do wish I could live in Zurich for a while so I can meet Boris Blank from YELLO :)

Originally posted by .a
javits convention center/nyc: expensive, good image

boston: less expensive, but it's just not new york ...

the expo should stay at nyc! it's perfect for apple - nyc has such a good image worldwide - i would really like to life there, but it looks like i am stuck in zuerich/switzerland (though a nice place, too)

hey marcsiry, congrats to move to nyc! how is real life there? i just know nyc from a few short vacations and from the macexpo-keynote-live-streaming :)

.a

Pellucidar

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2003
Boston
NYC may be a good place for publicity, but Boston is the IT center of the Northeast. If Apple wants to reach technical people, the move to Boston would be a good one. I was certainly looking forward to it - I'm not about to hike down to NYC just for the PR spin.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Pellucidar
NYC may be a good place for publicity, but Boston is the IT center of the Northeast. If Apple wants to reach technical people, the move to Boston would be a good one. I was certainly looking forward to it - I'm not about to hike down to NYC just for the PR spin.
While i am all for getting the IT crowd into the game, i think it's more important to seek the larger user base, which is more accessible from New York, apparently.

how long is it to NYC from Boston?

here in austin, TX, most of the tech stuff is in Houston and Dallas, both ≈3 hours away. it sucks.

PeteyNice

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
Boston to NYC is a 1 hr shuttle flight, 3.5-4 hour (at least) drive or a 3.5-4.5 hour train ride. The two cities are close but not *that* close. I hope they do keep it in NYC since then I could actually go. :)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by PeteyNice
Boston to NYC is a 1 hr shuttle flight, 3.5-4 hour (at least) drive or a 3.5-4.5 hour train ride. The two cities are close but not *that* close. I hope they do keep it in NYC since then I could actually go. :)
oh well. at least you actually have an apple store in Boston! :rolleyes: ;)

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Old News

This is quite old news, and not particularly interesting, isn't that what page 2 is for?

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
On the NYC topic:

Personally I agree that it should stay in NYC. There is nothing I want to do in Boston, but NYC on the other hand is filled with tons of things for attendees to do. You don't just go to the show, you are also a tourist.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Old News

Originally posted by timbloom
This is quite old news, and not particularly interesting, isn't that what page 2 is for?
not polite to double post for no reason usually, with quoting 2 different people being one of the exceptions. if you want to concatenate another comment to your post, you can click the "edit" button (on your posts only of course).

page 2 is for less reliable stuff, mostly, from what i understand. "of lesser interest" too, but it's still a judgment call, i found this of plenty of interest, personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.