Idiosyncrasies of iOS 7 are starting to add up...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dbrewer80221, Oct 4, 2013.

1. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

I feel like Apple is struggling to keep up with the market, and is now pushing stuff out too soon for the sake of "innovation" Hear me out: I have a new 5S, and I don't think iOS 7 is finished.

1. The phone sometimes won't wake or go to sleep. The first time it happened, I thought it might just be a glitch. Then when the phone wouldn't come on from sleep for over 30 seconds, I knew it was more than just a one time glitch. I have counted 5 times in the last 3 days this has happened so far.

2. The animations slow down and get choppy. I've been rocking iOS 7 on my 4S and iPad 3 all summer (app dev), and attributed many of the UI glitches to the beta software status. Then the GM was released, and I pretty much experienced the same issues. OK, maybe it was my 2 year old 4S that was the problem, not the OS. Nope - new 5S has the same lag in animation that the 4S had, and my iPad still does. Screen orientation (especially on the iPad) has a constant lag.

3. UI elements get "messed up" I went into my messages app and there was this weird border within my text entry box. It took several kills of the messages app to get it to go away. Little UI issues like this happen frequently.

4. Apps refuse to download until after multiple reboots. I bought my mother a 5S and restored from an iCloud backup. Her apps on her phone were stuck in a "Waiting" status all night. It took 3 reboots before they started downloading.

5. My biggest pet peeve: Music syncing ALL songs I've ever purchased from iTunes, no matter what playlists, artists, genres, etc. I choose.

I have a playlist of 164 songs that I sync to my phone. When the sync is done, it's synced 275 songs - the 164, and 111 I've purchased from iTunes. On my iPhone, I've told it to not show all music. On my mac, I have unchecked EVERYTHING on the music sync tab, except this playlist of 164 songs. If I sync it unchecked, I get 0 songs on my phone, as I should. If it's checked, I get 275.

I now have multiple support tickets open with Apple, and I have NEVER opened a ticket for an iOS issue before.

I don't think the OS is finished. It feels less polished to me that iOS 6. You can't just slap a pretty coat of paint on everything and expect that to be enough...

2. sfditty macrumors regular

I agree with you completely. I think we'll be stuck with a beta os- albeit a pretty good beta as they go- till almost this time next year.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

It's a bit naive to think that Apple will not fix issues as they arise.

4. ds705 macrumors member

the only problem I've been having on my 4s is every now and again Ill press the power button the phone wont wake and ill press the home button and it will wake up but take a screen shot too, besides for that and rotation animation lag its actually been working fine for me, my battery life is much better too. I get 4:30-6 hours of usage.

5. albertxp06 macrumors regular

Happened to me on iOS 6 too so it's not iOS 7 exclusive

6. iHacker0390 macrumors member

It's a bit naïve to think Apple cares about what any of you want... iOS 7 is the future if you want to stay in the Eco... enjoy our buggly crap or GTFO.. :eek:

7. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

iOS7 works consistently better with very little choppiness or lag on my iPT 5g than iOS 4/5/6 ever did on my iPT 4g. Maybe just for me.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

When did I say that Apple cares about what anyone wants? Try agin.

9. FlunkedFlank macrumors member

I believe you, but for what it's worth I'm not having a single one of those problems. There may be glitches but they aren't universal.

10. Treq macrumors 6502a

Treq

I think one of your buttons is sticking, probably the sleep/wake button. I had this same problem on my iPhone 4 last year. I opened it and cleaned it. After that it worked fine.

11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

What version of iOS 7 are you running?
    Have you tried restoring it? I run a similar setup up on my iPhone 5S of only syncing selected playlist and have had no issues, nor any of the others you are experiencing. I would try a full restore and do not reload your backup. Or you may just have a 5S lemon.

Attached Files:

12. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

Im sorry to get off topic here but i had to.

I like your signature! Had me cracking up, esp the 1st one.

13. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

Had that happen for me under iOS 6 as well. Strangely not had it happen for me with iOS 7 yet.

14. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

My counter argument:

The old glass + linen UI was getting really damn long in the tooth.

15. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

lol thanks, found that on another forum and had to copy it.

16. virtuosity macrumors member

I've got to say, I love the iOS in general - some things are just downright horrible, such as the Safari icon, the brightness of some of the objects are just way, way too bright and ugly (e.g. the greens in messages and facetime icon etc).

But I agree with the OP, in that this is simply so badly tested as a release - once again, the fear that modern large corporates have of losing a couple of points off the share price, you can't help feel that they rushed this version out...

I travel all over the world and use my phone extensively, and the amount of crashes I've seen, weird behaviour, text appearing strangely - all sorts of things...

I was ringing my wife earlier using facetime audio, and my phone froze like this:

[​IMG]

Scott Forstall lost his job - allegedly - over the quality of the release of maps, I can't help thinking that those days of "perfectionism" and "attention to detail and high quality" are behind Apple...

17. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Power struggle + his character (people didn't like it). Apple maps was just an excuse.

18. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I agree with the OP - iOS 7 still needs some work. Personally I've seen Reminders syncing across devices very sporadically. It worked flawlessly in iOS 6.
    All will be forgiven if Apple can roll out timely fixes in the form of OTA point releases (although I wouldn't want to see daily updates, such as the never ending Java updates in Windows).

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This feels a little rougher than previous x.0 releases but not completely unexpected. I agree with others that you are having some problems that most folks don't and should start troubleshooting your configuration and apps. Nothing more than the usual simple reset, then "restore as new does it work", and then put apps on manually "does it still work after this app", and try restoring from backup again.

If you can is it possible to get a video of the animation lags? I've heard about this and haven't seen it.

And to all I'm not interested in arguing over this next question. OP does the animation issues and lag go away if you close all your recently used apps or also after shutting down / resetting your phone?

20. dbrewer80221 thread starter macrumors regular

When I have some time later this week, I'll try to get video of the lagging

It doesn't get any better when closing apps out and rebooting. In fact, it's the worst right after it's been rebooted, and nothing is cached.