(idiot) Congressman Tells Janet Yellen God Wants Her to Wait on Raising Rates

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You said "God"..... :confused:
I use popular English vernacular (expressions of frustration) and have a sense of humor, if I have to point that out to you. :p

Just FYI

https://twitter.com/BradSherman/status/662003592786759680

Don't actually think God has an opinion on monetary policy, but if She did, She would agree that the FOMC shouldn't increase rates in winter
Hopefully you agree that in all cases it's presumptuous to proclaim to know God's plan. ;)

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
But why is God (I'm assuming he's talking about Yahweh here) all of a sudden a female?

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
I use popular English vernacular (expressions of frustration) and have a sense of humor, if I have to point that out to you. :p
Can't even be truthful with yourself when you're unknowingly speaking the truth. :D I suppose you're one of those people who cries out for God's help whenever death appears to be all but certain only to deny doing so once He has saved you.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
They should have raised rates a few years ago (since house prices are still artificially high and savers are being harmed). They just want to do it now so that the economy suffers just before the next election.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Can't even be truthful with yourself when you're unknowingly speaking the truth. :D I suppose you're one of those people who cries out for God's help whenever death appears to be all but certain only to deny doing so once He has saved you.
Now I have to analyze the seriousness of your post. Are you being funny (observing the smiley) or is this an over confident, condescending, and serious attempt to call me a hypocrite? The real question might be do you believe your own retoric? :)

I have no need to hide that at times in crucial parts of my life, I have asked for help from a higher power, but that's called hedging one's bets, something the religious are very familiar with, and for myself many questions remain unanswered.

*What would that power be- A deity, the Christian God or Other, a spiritual force composed of passed and present souls, The Force, bumping the Celestial pinball machine?
*What would that power's rules, intentions, expectations, and plans for us be, if any?
*And when things work out well or poorly, who should I thank or blame- a deity, bad luck, an errant flipper, luck, chance, a predetermined plan, or myself?

Hence I'm Agnostic, I don't pretend to know Big Brother, and was using common English Vernacular in this instance. :) If for some reason, I'm reading more into your post than you intended, my apologies, but if you think you have it all figured out, congrats or condolences, whichever applies. PS, my plan is not to have this as the start of another religious debate. The Competant Theist thread all ready fulfills my spiritual needs. :D

Reactions: AlliFlowers

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
To my knowledge, Congressman Sherman falls in the category of "pious Jewish" faith (as opposed to Fundamentalist Authoritarian). This discourse reminds me of pleasantries I used to hear as a kid, so, I think Congressman Sherman's discourse seems "old-fashioned". AFAIK, this intro is just being pleasant, not trying to make a theological statement. I could be wrong, but, I don't think he is being "serious" about falling interest rates in the fall, although, he obviously is serious about his religion. Anybody follow this guy closely enough to decode his style? I mean, after the pleasantries about the almighty, he goes into heavy CPA and economist-speak and various technical details about why he thinks it is too early to raise interest rates...