Idiot "cop"!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Muscle Master, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Muscle Master, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Meh, what a sweeping generalization.... I've met some wonderful cops in my lifetime.

3. simsaladimbamba

While I was "arrested" twice or thrice in my life (starting at six) by the police and have had other encounters with the police too, I rarely met arseholes there.
    But then again, the police is under the public eye, thus arseholes working for that institution are recognised much more visible than with many other professions.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

Who else do you deal with that you have to do whatever they say, no matter what, or be killed/locked away?

So while there may be other mean people in organizations, they don't have any power.

5. imurdaddy macrumors member

Ignorant...You"ll change your tune if you ever need one. Most law abiding citizens don't have that vitriol.

6. Schmitty11 macrumors 6502

Not all cops fit your stereotype. The deputy sheriffs in my county are some of the nicest people around, same with some of the city cops. Sure some think they're above the law, but you shouldn't use the few examples to label all cops.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Bad generalization there. Working with the police for several years directly, while I was in fire department gave me a new perspective of them. It was never bad to start with mind you. But think about this! A great majority of the people they deal with on a daily basis are jerks. First place what the truck driver did was illegal by passing on the right hand side. So who was really in the wrong. And who is the jerk?

8. simsaladimbamba

I have been born in a police state / dictatorship, as they call it now, and have had contact with the police from that time and it was always pleasant, even though I was a ridiculous arse at that time (laying fire and breaking in).
    Now that that dictatorship is gone, I still have had contact with the police, again, mostly pleasant.
    I never feared to be killed, I feared to be locked away, I already was once, but money got that solved, like with almost anything.

Only once I had some kind of bastards in a police vehicle, that were driving faster than allowed and I couldn't really assess their velocity and took their right of way. I got out of it by using words, my heart beat faster nonetheless, and standing up to them. We parted ways without any further trouble. Some days later some Russian guy promised to kill me (or us), maybe that had something to do with it? I guess not.
    Anyway, killings by the police are still a rarity here, but I guess the US is a bit different, they like their guns.

I only ever saw a policeman drawing his gun on me upon waking me while I was sleeping in my car. Other than that I have probably drawn a gun more than I saw a gun being drawn.

That is true, and the high sugary intake probably takes its toll and just look at Rygel.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In common with virtually every other person who has posted to date on this thread, I must respectfully disagree with you.

Firstly, your post is a sweeping generalisation, and is insulting and offensive, without much effort to support that broad statement.

Secondly, in common with many organisations, especially organisations which are awarded a degree of legitimate power in the pursuit of their duties, there are cops who abuse that power, certainly, but there are also many who serve the public with courage, discretion and distinction.

Thirdly, in common with almost every else who has already posted, I, too have met with, (and worked with, in international settings) far more 'good cops' than poor ones.

10. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Umm.. cool it Mr dictionary

I change the title of the thread to focus on the "one" idiot cop.. happy now

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Granted, it is a far better title than the one originally posted, I agree. As currently written it is more accurate, more relevant, less gratuitously generalised, and a lot less likely to give offence.

But, but, but, why the outraged tone when composing the original thread title? Why, indeed, submit the original thread title, at all? Why the snippy tone in general? Why the incandescent anger?

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Certainly I can see how SS's quite superfluous vocabulary can be of great intimidation for you lad. However, we jest you not on the matter of personal attacks. Such reprehensible use of name degradation is below our criterion of ethical decorum with other posters.

Please make use of proper and polite conversational words if you wish to sustain a satisfactory membership to this site.

13. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Got lazy when typing the original op... I actually have much respect for the law. I was really just talking bout the cop

14. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Until we rid ourselves of the militarization of our local police forces, many (not all, again, many, so you know I'm not generalizing) of these cops who are paid by our tax dollars and sworn defenders of the public will continue to be idiots in my eyes.

----------

What, are you a mod now? Lol.

15. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

16. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Until you PM'd that to every member that post fanboyish (yes.. not a real word) comments like "apple rules" and "down with samsung"

I can tell you where to stick your "proper conversational words" at

----------

we kinda pay them to do that... your point? and I know, I respect cops like I just stated.. just not that one in the op

17. aristobrat, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

aristobrat macrumors G4

From the article you linked to, ... "news station WNCT is reporting that the officer has since resigned due to this incident."

This article has some interesting information about the guy driving the truck. Not that any of it warranted what the sheriff did, but it's interesting none-the-less. Needless to say, it sounds like the guy in the truck got exactly what he's been looking for, IMO.

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/21731404/video-shows-collision-with-cop-on-526

18. ratsg macrumors 6502

I suppose it depends on your definition of "risks his life". I risk my life every day when I get out on the interstate to go to work, and I go to work to support my family.

It doesn't mean I should walk around all day at work with a gold star on my forehead so others will recognize my special efforts in getting myself to work another day on time. That is what my pay check is for.

You didn't give that cop his job and either did I. He choose that career path, and has maintained his position by appearing proficient in the eyes of his boss.

There are a multitude of dangerous careers, and for the most part, the people who are paid to be there, are there because that is where they choose to be. There are any number of significantly less dangerous career fields and jobs to choose from.

In short, whether this act was a one time thing, or he pulls this cr*p all the time, his choice of professions doesn't buy him any "get out of jail free" cards in my book.

19. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

What'd he do that was so bad? :confused:
    The cop was on his tail, sudden stop...

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Thread has been moved to PRSI, the only place on MR where such a thread can be discussed in the way it has been discussed.

B

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Looked to me like the driver was following the cop way too close and should have been cited for for that.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I think he would have been had the cop not been out of his jursdiction. I think it was an NC cop in SC.

23. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Heh. That happened on my commute to work...

It was a Sheriff from Wilmington, NC in town for a K-9 Training seminar.

The person driving the truck made a similar accusation towards a local cop last year. It was dismissed as "unfounded."

It sounds to me that both parties involved were — for lack of a non-censored phrase — jerks. The Sheriff's decision to cause a freakin' wreck, and the driver's decision to openly threaten the Sheriff on the 911 call. I don't have a lot of sympathy for either party.

Source.

24. iMikeT macrumors 68020

What can cops do outside their jurisdiction other than call the incident into local law enforcement?

I saw this happening a week and a half ago in my area. A cop from one town was about nearly a mile into the neighboring town he had no jurisdiction in and had a driver pulled over. It looks like he was issuing him a ticket for who knows what. The sheriff has jurisdiction in the town and should have been called but this one idiot cop was obviously overstepping his bounds and didn't care. I wanted to go over there and tell the guy pulled over that the cop was in the wrong city. I hope the driver contests the ticket, assuming he got one, and it gets dismissed.

25. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It varies by state. But, here is a wiki for California.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_officer#California

I know Illinois and Georgia are similar.

See above.