iDVD, make .avi movie fit on 4.7GB dvd ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2Shae, Aug 11, 2007.

1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I just tried to make a dvd with menu and all in iDVD '08 as a test (The Matrix).
    But there's a problem...it doesn't fit on a standard 4.7gb dvd :confused:

The movie is a 700mb .avi file and normally with other programs it will be converted just right so that it can fit, but iDVD will convert into a 7.4GB dvd:eek:

Anyway to get it to fit??

PS: I want to use iDVD for the menus, which are awesome and easy to make.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are two issues:

1. To create a standard DVD, iDVD must transcode your content to MPEG-2. This will probably result in a file that is much larger than your .avi file.

2. DVDs created using iDVD have historically been limited to two hours. If you want use Apple software to create a longer DVD, then you have to buy DVD Studio Pro.

3. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Would it be possible to first convert it with Visualhub and then import it in iDVD?

DVD studio pro 2 seems a little bit complicated, but i'll be willing to learn if Visualhub-way doesn't work.

4. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I've found a way to make it fit on a single layer dvd...You have to change the settings to High Quality instead of Best performance.
    It's now only 4.63GB but encoding is really really slow so don't know how the finished product will look.

EDIT
    No still to big. Max. size is 4.2gb :(