iDVD showed 5 hours to put together an mpg 2 DVD from .mov files & .jpgs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I am trying to put together a quick movie without all the trimmings onto a regular DVD to play on any DVD player & standard def TV. My camera shoots .mov & jpg files. I would like to be able to make DVDs quickly to give to family members who are eager to see the results. I usually save what ever I do as an ISO, then from this I can burn any amount of DVDs.

I tried using one step DVD & magic DVD,to do this, but the progress window showed it would be 5 hours to do. Why so long? The actual footage is about only 20 minutes long. I was advised to use these programs for this purpose. Can I just put the movies & photos without fancy menus etc? just for viewing?

2. circularforward macrumors 6502

Video applications are pretty cpu/gpu intensive. Depending on the compression/quality used, they can take quite a while, even for small applications. Did you look to see what type of compression/quality is being used? If it's at a "professional quality" setting, it will take a long time.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Format conversion to MPEG-2 takes a long time.

Good thing is, once the DVD has been created you can just burn it again and again - you don't need to wait 5 hours for each disc, just the first one.